How to Journey from Shame to Freedom

Andy Moore explores how the life-changing Gospel encounters with the risen Jesus can shape us in these days of COVID19. Today, through the lens of the biblical character Peter who denied Christ three times, Andy examines how weighted our hearts and minds can be by shame. Andy will show us how the disciple’s post-Resurrection encounter is a profound model for being freed emotionally in ways we never thought possible.

Shame is a complex thing. But part of how it works is through the internalization
of deep dissatisfaction with ourselves against one of two standards. Standards of our own, the type of person we think we are or want to be, or standards of the community around us and what the expectations of our society tend to be. And Peter feels shame on both of those fronts.

The antidote is in recognition of the third and highest standard by which the value
of our lives is measured. A standard which trumps the first two. That the God of the universe Has loved us so much; He has deemed relationship with us worthy of dying for and suffered rejection so that we don’t have to. By this, the ultimate standard, Peter’s shame and ours falls away.

Make it personal:

• What are you ashamed of? (No need to answer in Connect)

• How can your shame become your testimony about God’s great love?

5 Likes

Peter’s shame and that he wept when the rooster crowed and they looked at each other. Peter dealt with that shame for many days, Jesus demonstrated His forgiveness at breakfast to erase the shame.
Shame binds you from making direct eye contact, hiding behind sun glasses, hoodies, etc. Windows to the soul the eyes speak a lot.
Genuine new believers free from shame will be comfortable making eye contact.
No longer ashamed of our mistakes free to live in His fullness. So liberating.
May I also point out the compassion of Jesus.
There was just a few there at breakfast not a whole crowd when Jesus restored Peter. That was embarrassing for Peter.

2 Likes

When I think about the second question, I am reminded of Paul. While it may have at one time been a source of pride, I think Paul’s former life could have, from a human perspective, been a source of great shame. However, to Paul, this demonstrated God’s grace and power.

I think my past mistakes, my shame, and my “skeletons in the closet” can all illustrate a critical point of the Gospel message - Christ came to save lost sinners. Forgiveness is real, and it is for this reason I can have hope and face another day.

1 Like