How to lead an apologetics class at your local church

Hi friends, @Interested_in_Church,

Do you lead an apologetics or evangelism class at your church home?

If so, what lessons have you learned from doing so? Let’s share our best insights on this and encourage one another.

For me, it has become increasingly clear that the ultimate apologetic is not only love, but the love of a Christian community. Therefore, an effective apologetics and evangelism class must also be a loving community - to one another and to those who come into the community. That’s one lesson I’ve been reflecting on and putting into action recently.

13 Likes

Could not agree with you more. Our “Apologetic Inklings” gathering has become really tight with prayer for each other and sharing of weekly anecdotes. Sure the subject matter is sharpening, but the connections made and fellowship instilled is the group’s life line.

One other thing that I think is helpful. Giving the baton of prayer and/or assignment to others in the group connects us as well. While I open our gatherings in prayer, I always ask another to close our time together in prayer. And, with some topics having others volunteer to teach or discuss a subject has brought us closer too. For example, we took on responses to 20 of the hardest verses in the bible to explain. Everyone selected two verses. When their verse came up they took the teaching baton and led the discussion.

I look forward to reading others on this thread.

7 Likes

I would’ve loved to sit in on those 20 verses your class took on, Kel! Great idea… @Keldon_Scott

3 Likes

@CarsonWeitnauer

Hi Carson,

Thanks for bringing this up. In our church we’ve actually just put a group together (Anglicans love their meetings :slight_smile:) to put a more conscious focus on training in evangelism. I have been asked to be on that team and have put some of my thoughts in as to how I think we can better equip ourselves.

I would be really interested, though, to see if anyone knows if there are any good resources for a small group set of studies in this regard. Currently I’m looking at a book study/series of studies looking at “Know and Tell the Gospel”, by John Chapman, which I find really helpful and has a nice clear gospel presentation. I would probably follow this up with a few weeks on ‘Hard to answer questions’, which I imagine would cover things like we did in the Core Module (Good God/Bad World dilemma, Science vs Religion, etc.).

Is there a ready made small group study guide available that includes all of this? I’ve seen some things online but without trying them all out it’s sometimes hard to know what is good and what isn’t.

Any thoughts from you or anyone else?

Thanks

6 Likes

Keldon, can you please expand upon this ‘inkling’?
Thanks
Bill

2 Likes

Thank you Keldon, inclusion is key. Also embracing our differences.

3 Likes

Apologetics is discussed in the way CS Lewis did with Tolkien and others. They were in a bar: The Eagle and Child, presumably drinking spirits as it were. We are in a coffee shop. We talk about the tough questions and how to respond in an informal discussion way to get an inkling of what a good response might be. :slight_smile: Check out: https://www.ignatius.com/promotions/looking-for-the-king/who-were-the-inklings.htm if interested in some background.

7 Likes

There is a small group of men who meet twice a month in Redding Ca.
There are many wonderful resources available, like RZIM, to get information. Our group is focused on encouragement and practice of conversations. We learn and encourage each other in how to talk with others. We bring up questions that have come up in conversations that stump us and discuss how to better respond next time.
Each person is encouraged to study on their own and then we share what we have learned through our study and conversations.

4 Likes

Hi @tsbehan,

I apologize for the long delay in responding. RZIM does have a resource that is precisely designed to meet the need you’ve identified. It is called Everyday Questions and you can learn more about it here:
https://www.rzim.org/training/small-group-curriculum/about-curriculum

6 Likes

Thanks Carson. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

@CarsonWeitnauer I am currently taking a 6 week Sunday School class at a church here in the states. We are following a series developed by Lee Strobel. The format is very easy to lead as the materials provided are great. It is a very good course for beginners and focuses on evangalism.

5 Likes

Carson @CarsonWeitnauer, this curriculum is what I wanted to look into for our apologetics group at the church. But it doesn’t say how long the videos are or anything. Is there a contact that can answer some questions about the material so I can kind of get a sense of what it’s like?

2 Likes

Hi, Linds!
If I remember correctly (I edited the English subtitles for the EDQ videos), most of the talks were about 50 minutes. I don’t know if they ultimately split them up, but there were 9 talks total that I watched. Also thought you might appreciate these thoughts from @Ivy_Tyson:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks so much, Kathleen! And you know what, I think I did converse with Ivy via email after taking the core module a few years back…I think, if I am remembering correctly. Completely forgot about that! I will take a look at what you’ve posted here and then see if I stored those emails somewhere :slight_smile: Thanks again!!

4 Likes

Good day Brian, may I ask what is the url for details of this course?
Thanks
Bill

1 Like

Of course @billbrander here you go:
https://www.christianbook.com/making-your-case-christ-training-course/9780310095163/pd/095163?en=google&event=SHOP&kw=dvd-studies-20-40|095163&p=1179710&dv=m&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvo_qBRDQARIsAE-bsH9RGaCH5oVV058NZ-7UbWkKsxVAjJUZBj6WTnGUFy8M0UDjUQo9uRwaAq_3EALw_wcB

2 Likes

I am the leader of the apologetic area in my church, we have done many things, we have dedicated ourselves to study, read books, but above all I always try to put the burden of love on others, because apologetics will always lead you to evangelize .
But lately my team and we have focused on apologetics for children (it is very difficult) but children have taught me so many things with this. They have asked us everything, they have very strong intellectual doubts, but also emotional doubts, so the difficult thing is to be able to respond clearly to the children and that they can understand.

3 Likes