How to Reach Someone Who Doesn't Need a Savior?

(Han Goh) #1

I am meeting weekly one-on-one with a non-Christian friend to go through 40 Days of Purpose. I have shared the gospel with him many times but he says he has no need for it.

He has a good job, family with 2 kids, nice comfortable suburban lifestyle and everything’s going well. He considers himself a “good person” and doesn’t do anything horrible. He does not have a longing in his heart for “something more” but is perfectly content with his life and where it is going. When I asked him why he’s doing the 40 Days of Purpose he says it’s to make him a good/better person. He sees all religions as training to do more good, that’s all.

What can I do or say to help him see the need for a savior? He is not the “drowning man who needs a life preserver”. He does not have an emptiness in his heart nor a longing for a greater purpose. He does not have any concern about eternal things. He’s just happy and contented to be where he is.

Jesus said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick”. Should I just give up on him and move on? “If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet”

(SeanO) #2

@hgoh Dr. Zacharias has some good talks on witnessing to the happy pagan and on those
who feel they do not need God. I also really like Os Guiness’ book ‘Fool’s Talk: Recovering the Art of Christian Persuasion’ in which he discusses the fact that people start seeking God after experiencing ‘signals of transcendence’. Your friend may not be seeking God right now because he has not experienced anything that has shaken his current worldview. However, if you are faithful in sowing the seed of God’s Word, then when he does experience something that shakes his faith in his current beliefs, he may have something to latch onto - Christ. So don’t give up. Pray steadfastly for him and share the love of Jesus.

Tim Keller also has some great resources - Counterfeit gods and ‘Reasons for God’ that could be great for you two to discuss. Counterfeit gods really gets at the fact that worshiping anything other than God cannot truly satisfy in the end.

You may try discussing some questions like, “Where do you think all of the good things you enjoy come from?”

Do you know if he believes in God at all? Is he atheist / agnostic?

Tim Keller talk on counterfeit gods

Tim Keller talk at Google on ‘Reasons for God’

(Earnest Nadeem) #3

Most of the time those who claim to have no need of a Saviour are the most lonely and needy inside.
Talk to the person and pray