How To Stop Overthinking

Overthinking ruins my creativity, how do I stop?

4 Likes

Hello that is a question many ask themselves and for me I will just say that sometimes guilty as charged. While at times beneficial other times detrimental. Could you expound on what types of things you over think. Thanks again for the query.
Mike

5 Likes

Like sometimes when I draw I overthink everything, like the perspective, symmetry, and color. Other times its when I am playing the video game, it’s like I do not let my brain flow…its hard to explain :pensive:. Also with school work

1 Like

While I comprehend the word meaning my stick men dont have those qualities. I can relate to a lot but all I every really learned how to draw was a six shooter cap gun. As for me I look at what you are saying and for myself I would say prayer has been the biggest thing that helps me see the bigger picture because I focus on the Author of the bigger picture. To gain a real perspective I must look beyond myself. For example one persons decisions effect many others.and He sees that. May He be gracious and give you peace.
Mike

Psalms 146:1‭-‬8 NKJV

Praise the Lord ! Praise the Lord , O my soul! While I live I will praise the Lord ; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help. His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish. Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God, Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Who executes justice for the oppressed, Who gives food to the hungry. The Lord gives freedom to the prisoners. The Lord opens the eyes of the blind; The Lord raises those who are bowed down;

4 Likes

Part of it is to just do it. Don’t worry about making mistake. Just put your pen to the paper and start drawing whatever. I do this sometimes with writing. I always try to write a final draft on my first go and it paralyzes me. But, if I start to just write whatever, just whatever I think or see, it starts to transform into something.

I heard Maya Angelou say that she sometimes just sits down and writes “the cat sat on the mat” over and over again until the juices start flowing and a poem emerges.

Hope this helps. It is just one idea.

5 Likes

I’ve experienced this too! Here are a few thoughts that have helped me.

1. Give yourself the freedom to fail. When I’m writing, I don’t pay any attention about the quality of my first draft as I’m writing it. If I do, I’ll end up never getting past the first sentence, because it’ll never seem good enough to me. That’s not being lazy - it’s knowing how I work best. Like @Joshua_Hansen said, sometimes you have to just write/draw/do whatever at first. Make your initial measure of success getting ink on the paper, metaphorically or in reality. You can always edit or start over later.

2. Pray. Speaking from personal experience (and not suggesting at all that yours is the same), I tend to overthink when I feel like I need to control something, as if I were 100% responsible for the outcome. When I start to get overwrought, I try to reset my mind by going into another room. I remember why I’m working to begin with, and sometimes the reason is that I want to be a good steward of the abilities God has given me. So I pray (I appreciate @mgaplus4’s emphasis on prayer also) something like this:

God, I want to do this well to honor you. I’m getting tangled up in myself and my expectations. In the end, I believe that you will help me do this well unto you. Help me to know when I slip into pride instead of depending on you. Help me focus on you instead of the final product.

3. Trust that God is sovereign over your efforts. In the end, all creativity comes from the Lord. It doesn’t matter how much we think about something if we aren’t doing it unto the Lord in the first place. However, if we give ourselves to him and remain sensitive to his spirit as we create, we can stop overthinking and instead enjoy the creative process as he meant for us to.

Does that speak to your question, @gabrielk?

4 Likes

this really helped. I know this may seem silly(btw im 16). will this help me with competitive video gaming also?

2 Likes

All the responses are very true and practical and so I encourage you to need them.
Concerning the video gaming I’ll say just make sure nothing in this world has your heart except God.

1 Like