How was man saved?

Hello everyone, hope your all having a great evening. My question is this, if God is just and fair and provided the bible and his son Jesus Christ for forgiveness of our sins and Salvation… how was a man saved for example in Americas before the bible arrived in that region around 1600’s I believe? Or for someone who did not have the chance to hear this “good news” after the completion of the bible, some deserved to hear and some didnt? I cant seem to wrap my mind on this if God is just, fair and merciful. Thank you for your time.

4 Likes

That is a great question. Here is a thread that should be very helpful. There are some links referenced that should help as well. @SeanO has some very good feedback on this topic that is included. How about those who have not heard? May the Lord grant you understanding. How about those who have not heard?

3 Likes

@Loftmusic Generally I address this question from two angles. The first is that God has a plan for the nations and has been working through history to draw all people to Himself. The second is that on the day of judgment God will judge people according to the truth they had and the Judge of all the earth will surely do what is right!

Throughout history all people have been saved by trusting in God - through faith - including Abraham who did not know about Jesus and even men like Abel who was killed by Cain and is listed in the hall of faith in Hebrews. We are only held accountable for the knowledge of God we possess and it is clear from Scripture that all men do possess some level of knowledge about God.

If we look at Romans 3 / 4, we see that God did not count peoples’ sins against them prior to Christ when they had faith in God. Of course it is only through Jesus that people are saved, but where there is a lack of knowledge of Christ faith is credited to a person as righteousness.

Romans 3:25-26 - God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Romans 4:13 - It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith.

Here are a few threads you may find helpful in thinking through this question. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What do you mean when you say ‘just and fair’? The just penalty for the race of man (having rebelled against a holy God) was death and separation from God forever. Gen.2:17 To start with, at the beginning, God never owed us any more than that.

Yet, his love toward us expresses itself by grace (unmerited favor) in providing a death in our place as a substitute. Christianity is the only faith where the God requiring a sacrifice provides it Himself, as He becomes that sacrifice. Concerning means of salvation before the cross, I agree with what SeanO has explained.

1 Like