How would you classify the worldview of this TED Talk?

(SeanO) #1

So, I was watching the below TED Talk and I was shocked at how positive the response he received turned out to be. His basic premise seemed to be that we should follow the advice of South American shamans and the ancient Egyptians and do drugs to entered altered states so that we we can make contact with the spirit world and receive advice on how to save the earth and be deemed upright in the judgment of the soul / spirit.

The narrative shared much in common with what I would call “conversion narratives”. His spiritual experience helped him straighten out his life and at great cost to themselves these shamanic missionaries go out and share hallucinogens so that people can contact the spirit world.

How would you classify this worldview? Have you ever encountered someone who thought along these lines?

(A S FLINT) #2

Occultism

My husband Raphael and I were both involved in occultism and other non Christian religious practices.

Raphael’s family were Presbyterian from PA and nothing sparked his interest within his church. He decided to attended college in California majoring in anthropology. During the beat generation he began to read authors who were into metaphysics and other philosophies. He joined TM and sat under an Indian guru for 30 years. He touted him self as a pagan with shamanistic beliefs. His scientific beliefs were Darwinian as well.

I came from a family who were into spiritualism, fortune telling, necromancy and other superstitions.I was allowed to attend church and did so with a baby sitter. At the age of 12 I came to believe in Jesus Christ asking him into my heart. However, none of my family were Christians. I had no solid foundation and by my early 40’s I got involved in New Age spirituality. I met my husband in 1998. And were were attending about even non Christian group around.

While living in Hawaii I found a cool hip church and began attending that after all I was in every other religion. The Holy Spirit was drawing out of the New Age and its snare through the LOVE of real believers.

We moved to north Florida and I was suffering with various sicknesses. I was in a bible area and began to attending a church. I was extremely oppressed due to the spirituality I had been involved in. Praise GOD I went to a ministry who understood this oppression and did ministry. I was not only freed but I was healed of diseases through simple repentance. My conversion led to my husband becoming a Christian and then each member of my family!!!

The man above has followed the wrong path. Even a very dark one. I pray for him that what ever it takes Father GOD in the name of Jesus of Nazareth to have mercy on his soul so he may come out of the darkness of the occult. Please allow the scales be removed from his eyes. Father GOD, I pray you will send loving non judgmental people across his path to sow into his life TRUTH that Jesus is the only way to real peace and that YOUR spiritual realm is one of peace not of altered states from beings who turn on you in the end (to kill steal and destroy). LORD please heal his broken heart from his past causing him to have bitterness, rejection and rebellion against you GOD. I thank you that Jesus came even for the rebellious also even for this man and his audience. The LORD rebuke you Satan off that man’s life. Thank you Father for you mercy in Jesus mighty name!!

Blessings.
Flint

(SeanO) #3

@Flint Flint, thank you so much for sharing your story. It is such an encouragement to hear how God has brought people out from under the dominion of darkness.

It reminded me of this passage from Colossians 2:

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.

9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

As Paul said, many spirits have gone out into the world, but many are not from God. Christ is the head over every power and authority.

I pray in agreement with you - may God open his eyes, ears and heart to understand the glory of God in the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

(Petrina Gomez) #4

Hi Sean and Flint,

Many many thanks for bringing up this topic. I am so fascinated at how the Lord speaks to us through the pressing issues of our times. Our culture is DESPERATE for some form of spirituality, some form of connection with a higher being and thus the evolution of new age spirituality. If I may add, this is congruent to Eastern spirituality and mysticism as well. There are practises in Hinduism that require people to alter their state of consciousness to perform rituals for gods in an attempt to atone or communicate with God. Similar for Taoist monks who serve as mediums, allowing their bodies to host dead spirits so the living are able to communicate with them. I am pretty confident that for many, they are drug-induced states of altercation.

I must admit that I too could have been decisions away from falling prey to these movements if not for the grace of the Lord Jesus saving me in time, ‘causing the scales of my eyes to fall off’ to see his glorious, marvellous and absolute truth.

I stand united with you in prayer for every single soul who is deceived by this practise. May the grace of the Lord Jesus break every chain and free them from the bondage brought about by this practice. May the love of God that is greater than creation itself captivate their hearts and minds, causing them to so effortlessly walk away from this and into His presence.

Interestingly enough, I was just watching this YouTube video last evening titled “Is smoking marijuana a sin?” tackled by a panel of distinguished theologians. What stands out the most to me is the fact that while Graham Hancock casually classifies all drug substances (alcohol, caffeine, cannabis, etc.) as mind-altering, John Macarthur does not. He carefully draws the distinction between what is a stimulant and what is able to alter the state of consciousness. I find this is a great point to start with before delving into profound discussion over the matter.

Check this out:

Another key point to note is the verse in scripture he uses for reference which speaks directly to my heart.

1 Corinthians 6:12- (You say, “I am allowed to do anything”–but not everything is good for you. And even though “I am allowed to do anything,” I must not become a slave to anything.")

I pray that you communicate this verse in gentleness and love to those who need to hear it. May they be enlightened by it and I hope my post helps :slight_smile:

Blessings,
Petrina

(SeanO) #5

@Petrina_Gomez Great insight! I’m sure people will benefit from that information. I have heard that verse from Corinthians cited as well as it relates to alcohol and it reminds me of Ephesians 5:18-21 - Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

(Keldon Scott) #6

I enjoyed the video post.

(David Roeder) #7

Along with above great responses, I’m seeing a very synchretistic worldview here, because he’s combining modern scientific jargon with ancient shaman practices. Salvation is through evolution of the intelligence of man.

(SeanO) #8

@kardiaccny Good point. When I was studying intercultural missions, it was fascinating to hear the stories from the missions field of how difficult it is for people in general to avoid synchretism.