How would you explain why God would command Hosea to marry a prostitute?

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #1

Hello guys. Just wondering how you would answer the question in case you were asked:

1. If God does not want us to be unequally yoked with unbelievers, why would He command Hosea to marry a prostitute?

Hosea 1:2-3, “When the Lord began to speak through Hosea, the Lord said to him, “Go, marry a promiscuous woman and have children with her, for like an adulterous wife this land is guilty of unfaithfulness to the Lord.” So he married Gomer daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.”

(SeanO) #2

@omnarchy Good question. I think the following article gives a pretty good summary answer.

First, it is unclear whether she was already a prostitute before he married her or if her unfaithfulness occurred only after marriage.

Second, Hosea redeemed her back from her slavery and idolatry to be his wife as an illustration of God’s great love His people, who were prostituting themselves with foreign gods.

I think it is also important to remember that Jesus became sin for us on the cross. God is willing to become messy in order to redeem us. In a way, Hosea was stepping into this woman’s messy life to redeem her, just as Christ would one day step into our messy world to redeem us by becoming a curse for us.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #3

Thank you, @SeanO. I really love how you included the gospel at the end of your comment.

(Babang ) #4

The same question has been bothering me for these few days after reading Hosea (as part of my plan to read entire books in the Bible).

Then I google it, who knows there are many out there of the same questions and voila here I am.

But this is how I see it, that God was trying to show to Israelite that they were like a prostitute before HIM as they had been selling themselves to foreign gods. But despite so, as long as they wanted to repent and came back to God, He would forgive and showed them compassion again.

But I still can’t imagine the burden of being Hosea, the only prophet explicitly asked by God to marry a prostitute.

Please correct me and give me feedback if this is wrong. Thank you brothers!

(Matt Western) #5

Hi @MrB It may help to know that other prophets in Israel were called by God to do what we might call strange things.

Have you seen any of theBibleProject videos? They’ve just completed a recent one on ‘How to Read the Prophets’, and if you watch the videos from the Bible Project.

Some very brief examples I can think of
Isaiah was asked go around naked for three years prophesying warnings to Israel. Isiah 20:2-3
Jeremiah 32:1-25 was told to go and buy a plot of land in a war zone, when the attacking army was right outside the gate, to show that God would restore Israel.
There are heaps of others, some very strange to us.

Here is an example page of some - and obviously I would not agree with all of them, but it’s a good starting point for further reflection (I had not heard of Ezekiel’s two sticks referring to the Book of Mormon before).

Hope that’s a helpful starting point?

I also cannot imagine the burden of being a prophet in Israel - Jeremiah knew from the start from God that his message would be rejected, but he was still called to deliver it.

(Babang ) #6

Hi @matthew.western, thank you for adding knowledge to me, I would definitely check out the videos.

I read about Isaiah and Jeremiah as you mentioned and indeed it was unimaginable how much they need to go to fulfill what God had commanded them.