How would you use this eternal ought as an ally when doing apologetics?

@Cameron_McAllister Hi Cameron, in reading Charles Hodge he said something like this. “God has put into man the Eternal Ought” (Or moral law). My question is this. How would you use this eternal ought as an Ally when doing apologetics? I’m sorry I’m adding this as an edit . I understand that in apologetics it is the work of the Holy Spirit to enlighten the mind and correct the thinking of the unbeliever but it is helpful to me as I’m learning to ask the right questions with the AIM of helping the other person become internally aware of how they’re thinking, and why they want to know the answers about right and wrong love and Justice and evil. always with gentleness and respect on our part. Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Rod Page

It’s a good question, Rod. One great resource here is the opening section of C.S. Lewis’s Mere Christianity. One specific passage comes to mind: “First, that human beings, all over the earth, have this curious idea that they ought to behave in a certain way, and cannot really get rid of it. Secondly, that they do not in fact behave in that way. They know the Law of Nature; they break it. These two facts are the foundation of all clear thinking about ourselves and the universe we live in (my italics).” That’s a very practical expression of Hodge’s “eternal ought,” and it can serve as a powerful bridge for non-believers.

2 Likes

@Cameron_McAllister, that’s great I will have to re-read mere Christianity. I read at least once a year as a side note the Chronicles of Narnia they are so rich. do you have a personal example of witnessing in which this specific subject came up maybe?

1 Like

Thank you. I used to work in a group home for boys in the juvenile probation system 14 to 18 and they always talk about keeping it :100:. I appreciate the candor and honesty, I totally agree that transparency can be key to breaking down emotional walls.