I love to write and wonder how you are inspired to choose topics, are they planned or do you just write spontaneously?

Thank you Jill for your incredible writing. I look forward to slice if infinity every morning. The way you pair your beautiful writing with art brings a profound depth bringing us closer to God. I love to write and wonder how you are inspired to choose topics, are they planned or do you just write spontaneously?
Thanks again for using your wonderful gifts to encourage the body of Christ.

1 Like

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your encouraging words. Writing has always been a means of connecting with God for me. I don’t necessarily set out knowing what I want to say or even what I think about a particular subject. I often find myself drawn to an image, a quote, a line of poetry that seems beautifully true… and I find the Spirit invites me to linger there. “Whatsoever is true, whatsoever is noble, whatever is right, whatsoever is lovely… think on such things.” This is what writing invites–paying attention. I love that God gives us permission to deeply wrestle with kind and true, beautiful and pure things–and more than this, to try them on. Faith is an invitation to inhabit not simply to confess. I think what I love most about art is that it reminds us similarly that life and all the things that make life important are profoundly holistic… it is not simply a mental ascent to what is true or good but an invitation to taste and see and go and live accordingly. In terms of planned writing, I do find the liturgical seasons of the church quite helpful. The church is presently in the midst of reminding us all that we are in a season of expectant, though delayed, hope. In the midst of darkness, there is a coming light. Christ embodies this. I find any “planning” I do in writing is often at the direction of the global church and the seasons that it calls us to inhabit communally. I don’t know if this is true for you or not, but I find it incredibly helpful in this cultural moment to dwell in the reminder that the light shines in the darkness and the darkness shall not master it. I need this reminder. And it compels my writing–and at the same time, it reminds me that I am not alone in my need for this reminder that Christ embodies for us. We remember this together as a global church right now in this season of Advent as we wait and remember.

Many blessings to you, Kathy. Keep writing!

Jill

1 Like