I Timothy 4

Good day

While busy with a bit of research I came acroos the mention of the “Doctrines of devils” in 1 Timothy 4.

It seems to me that aafter this part in the bible nobody can tell me what they are. What are the doctrines of the devils?

1 Like

@RiaanL Thank you for sharing your question :slight_smile: In this context of 1 Timothy 4, it is clear that Paul is referring to those who forbid people to marry and to abstain from certain foods. Paul says that these things were given by God for us to enjoy, so when people teach against them they are going against God Himself.

This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of daimonia doctrines, but Paul is saying the source of these particular teachings are not from God and should be refuted. Here is an interesting note from the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Background Commentary:

Paul’s original readers were accustomed to hearing about daimonia teaching and guiding people through oracles, prophecy, or in other ways. For instance, it was generally thought that the prophetic god Apollo used daimonia as agents for the oracles at Delphi on mainland Greece… Socrates, the famous philosopher, claimed to be personally guided by such a daimonion, leading to ancient speculation on the identity of this being. In contrast, Paul says that the Holy Spirit Himself has expressly provided a warning against the teaching of daimonia, which are deceiving spirits.

1 Timothy 4:1-5 - The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

@SeanO Thank you. I do feel that there is more to it though, so I will be doing some research and post it if I find it :wink:

1 Like

@RiaanL Yes, do let us know if you find anything interesting :slight_smile:

@SeanO Well, what an interesting time I’ve had with a long lost friend of mine. To put it shortly, he gave me info from a writers friend of his that wrote a persoonal biography of Phil Botha…he was the first high priest of satan in south africa. After he converted and accepted Christ and wrote some information regarding this specific topic. Should I continue or mail you directly?

1 Like

@RiaanL Feel free to message me directly if you want to chat about Botha. Praise the Lord that he accepted Jesus!