I was an actor in my first life!

(Nick DeMarco) #1

Hi everyone!

I am signing up for the “Understanding and Answering Islam” online stream for Jan. 11-12. It is my first time taking an RZIM course. I have seen numerous RZIM conferences on YouTube, but this my first formal enrollment.

Currently, I am celebrating my 15th year as an 8th grade public school teacher in NJ, near Newark Airport. I love my job! It is, however, my second career. Prior to education, I was in showbiz. I was an actor and comic. for 10 yrs. I mostly worked in theatre and traveled the country as a performer.

My wife Diane and I have been married for 16 yrs. We’ve known each other for a total of 28 yrs. During our friendship and dating, she became a Christian. In turn, she began talking to me about the Bible, Jesus, and salvation. After some kicking, screaming, and denying, the Lord opened my eyes, my mind, and my heart. I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior in 1998. Of course, my testimony is a bit longer than this brief introduction, but this is good enough for now.

We have a 9 yr. old daughter - Mia. She keeps us busy. She loves to talk. My wife Diane was also an actress. Since Mia has 2 performers as parents, it’s no surprise that she’s a ham. She is learning tennis and guitar. Recently, her rendition of “Jingles Bells” actually began sounding like “Jingle Bells!”

Currently, I am earning my master’s in English and Global Studies at Liberty University online. It’s quite a bit of hard work, and sometimes I feel like my head is going to explode, but it the experience has been rewarding. The professors and staff are top notch!

I look forward to being a part of this RZIM online community!
Cheers and Happy new Year!
Nick

(SeanO) #2

@demarco4109 Welcome to Connect! Sounds like you’ve had quite an exciting life. May the Lord Jesus continue to bless you and your family as you walk with Him and open doors for you to share Jesus with those in your community. See you on the forms.

(Warner Joseph Miller) #3

Hey there, Nick! Welcome to Connect! I’m actually an actor in my “current life”!:blush: It’s nice to see another creative in the community. Again, WELCOME!

(Nick DeMarco) #4

Hi Warner!

Thanks for reaching out to me. The theatre/acting world is exciting! Are you currently working on anything or taking classes?

I saw your original page (if that’s what you call it). The posted artwork with Spike reminds me of an artist - Justin Bua, based in LA but from NY. Look him up. I think you’ll like his work. I use some of his art as poetry prompts for my 8th grade students.

It’s great to hear that you’ve graduated from OCCA! What an accomplishment! I can only imagine how it has enriched your role in youth ministry. I hope to take more RZIM courses when I complete my master’s next year.

Since you are NY based, have you had opportunity to see or audition for any productions by Fellowship for Performing Arts (Max McClean’s theatre)?

Happy New Year!
Nick

(Kathleen) #5

Welcome to Connect, @demarco4109! We’re glad you’ve joined us here, and thank you for sharing with us just a bit of you own story. All the best with your master’s studies, your students, and family life!

(Warner Joseph Miller) #6

Hey there, Nick!!! Sorry for the late response. Ironically, I currently find myself right in the beginning stages of rehearsals for an Off-Broadway play here in NY. Between the holidays and that, time has been a crunch.

Yes, OCCA has definitely been a blessing in all aspects of ministry: youth, adult, entertainment, cultural, etc. You’ll certainly benefit from whatever RZIM courses you take.

With regard to Max McClean and the Fellowship for Performing Arts, I have heard of that fellowship but have never auditioned for them.