Support RZIM Connect

I Was Wrong! What to Do When You Find Out Your Case Had a Flaw

This week, Abdu Murray helps us tackle the dilemma when we learn we have a flaw in our argumentation or our evidence. Christianity has multiple lines of evidence and argumentation, so DON’T PANIC! :grinning:

He refers back to earlier podcasts (all available here on Connect) specifically when he addresses the Ressurection of Christ. Those are linked here:

Have you had an experience when you needed to recover from flawed information you shared in your witness? If so will you share with us?

How does Abdu’s suggestions for recovery strengthen your courage and your witness?

1 Like

This podcast is tremendously encouraging and helpful. I appreciated the use of his professional experience to illustrate how to admit mistakes and still make a good case.

I cannot think of moments where I had to admit logical or factual errors. I can think of quite a few moments where I committed offenses that damaged my witness. I have learned that admitting my offense and apologizing for it opens doors that would not have opened if I did not do that. One time I talked very disrespectfully to a peer. When she confronted me about it with her typically iron-gloved manner, I could have put my defenses up and refused to admit fault. I admitted that I did wrong, told her exactly what I did wrong, apologized for it, and promised to do my very best not to do it again. She appreciated it and we have had some good conversations after that. This reinforces the lesson that Abdu discussed about credibility. When I admit my fault and seek to make amends for it then the other person is more open to listening to me about other things.

4 Likes

@blbossard I think that’s a great example of how we can be more effective witnesses! Thank you for sharing your story.

When I admit my fault and seek to make amends for it then the other person is more open to listening to me about other things.

That’s it! You increased your integrity in her eyes which is the another attribute Abdu discusses in this podcast. If we need to apologize or admit a flawed statement, people will often be more surprised that you decided to be honest. Trust the Lord with the outcome.

2 Likes

Come to think of it, I am part of the case that I make. It is not purely logical argument. Loveless logic wins nothing (1 Corinthians 13).

2 Likes