I would like to know RZIM Academy's Theological Position on John 20:22 Where Jesus breathed on the Disciples and said receive the Holy Spirit

I would like ot know RZIM Academy’s Theological Position on John 20:22 Where Jesus breathed on the Disciples and said, “receive the Holy Spirit”. I am currently in the Faith Seeking Understanding course, and the course material talks only of the Holy Spirit given at Pentecost.

I have studied this in-depth myself and I do have a biblical position on it, but I am interested in knowing what RZIM Academy’s position is on the difference between what happened as recorded in John 20:22 and what happened in Chapter 2 of acts.

Thanks and God bless :slight_smile:

PS: Just for clarification I have no issues with what is taught in the course, but I do think by leaving this out, it leaves the topic incomplete. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi, @RichChatfield. First, I want to say welcome to the Connect community! We are a community of Christian brothers and sisters here to help each other learn and grow as disciples and apologists by responding to and asking sincere questions about God, the Christian faith, the Bible, and other related matters. However, we do not represent the RZIM Academy. I was wondering whether you might be able to ask your course facilitator this question and see what s/he has to say? I ask because when I took the core module, there were threads for discussion where we could ask about such things. We could also just see what others have to say about the passage here and discuss if you’d like :slight_smile:
Otherwise, @CarsonWeitnauer may be able to give you some better direction with this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lindsay.
First thank you for responding. I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I kind of grinned when I read your post in that my course facilitator told me to post my question here at connect. I did raise this in the forums in the course. A few of the students became interested, and my facilitator even agreed with me that the course material seems to purposefully concentrate solely upon teaching that the Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost in Acts 2 and by not addressing John 20:22 the teaching on this seems to be incomplete. His suggestion to me was that since the courses are limited in scope, perhaps I could post this as a question in Connect where more people might have something to contribute to it.

So taking His advice, here I am :slight_smile:

I wasn’t sure exactly what RZIM Connect was. It seem to me to be a community of alumni who form an online community to discuss, share and fellowship. I thought perhaps the moderators or those who run the forum may work for the academy and might be able to look at the question and give some answer on how the academy interprets John 20:22. Based on your reply, I understand that it is unlikely I will get that kind of response, however I am still hopeful that the Alumni and other brother and sisters of the academy associated with RZIM would like to weigh in on this topic and share their understanding or views upon it. I would be glad to share my position as well in the course of the discussion, but would like to hear what others have to say regarding this.

Typically, when teaching about the Holy Spirit being given to mankind, it usually focused and centered on what happens in Acts chapter 2. I believe this is correct as the events recorded in Acts 2 and I would also add Acts 10 are clear examples that God poured out His Holy Spirit with power upon believers in fulfillment to the Prophet Joel (Acts 2:16-21) as Peter declares.

However, having said that, I think even from just a factual basis, when one reads John 20:22 where Jesus was meeting with His disciples for the first time after he raised from the dead he said,

“22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”

I don’t think its wrong to say or teach that God sent His Holy Spirit on Pentecost, but I do think we have to be careful in how we say that, because something clearly happened in John 20:22 and so I would say by not addressing this, any teaching regarding the giving of the Holy Spirit would be incomplete.

I’ll say this and hope people will jump into the conversation and contribute…

There are two times in which Scriptures says God breathed upon mankind. One was in Genesis 2 where he formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into life and the second we find recorded here in John 20:22 where God breathed upon the disciples and said receive the Holy Spirit. I believe according to what Jesus taught Nicodemus regarding being born again and Spirit giving birth to Spirit, that Jesus was breathing new life or spiritual rebirth by giving to the disciples the Holy Spirit. This is not the Baptism of the Holy Spirit we see happen in Acts 2. So I believe that the 2 times we find God breathing upon man, in both cases we are seeing God breath life into mankind. I hope others will join in and share their understanding of this and what they believe is happening. I will be glad to share some of my thoughts as well.
God bless

2 Likes

I’m so glad your course facilitator told you to come to Connect!

We certainly do have a fellowship as we learn and grow together :smiley:! Though the community includes alumni, we have many in the community that are not academy alumni, and questions posted for discussion are open to participation from brothers and sisters in the community regardless of their relationship with the academy. As for the moderators, I have no idea whether they are also involved in the academy :slight_smile:. I tagged the person who might be able to give you those answers, but until then, you’ve got the whole community (from all over the globe!) with which to discuss :smiley:!

That being said, I can see why you would bring John 20:22 up. However, when anyone goes to interpret what a particular verse means, we first start with the immediate context (the rest of the passage surrounding the focus verse), then we might look to the context of the rest of the book, and then we span out to look at what this verse might mean in light of other verses on the subject in other books of the Bible. The verse cannot be understood on its own apart from the rest of Scripture–which will be helpful for us here.

The surrounding passage does not give much away as to the meaning of the verse. It is the first time after the resurrection Jesus appears to the disciples–not all of them are present (which automatically shoves out the possibility of a “first fruits” giving of the Spirit to the apostles that I’ve read in some commentary in previous years of study). However, it is of interest to note that right before Jesus breathes on them and tells them to receive the Holy Spirit, he also says, “As the Father has sent me, I also send you” (v. 21, New King James Version). We know that after Jesus breathed on them, the disciples did not immediately get up and go witness to people. Notice also that there is nothing here that says or evidences that the disciples received the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit at this moment. Back up further to John 16:7, and Jesus is very clear in stating that for the Advocate (the Holy Spirit) to come to them, he must go away. He says that until he goes away, the Holy Spirit will not come. He doesn’t say that when he comes to them, he will give them the Holy Spirit. He says after he goes away, he will send him to them.

Backing up further to John 14:25-26, Jesus says, “‘But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you’” (New King James Version). Jesus makes it clear he will not be present with them when they receive the Holy Spirit. Though in John 16:7, Jesus tells the disciples he will send them the Holy Spirit, in this passage in John 14, he clearly says how the Spirit will be sent: the Father will send the Spirit in his name. Again, in John 15:26, “‘But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me’” (NKJV). It is the Father who will send the Spirit at Jesus’ request.

Jumping to Acts 1, Luke tells us that (and remember, Jesus had told the disciples in John 20:21 that as the Father sent him, he is sending them and yet they did not go, apparently understanding it was yet for a future time) Jesus gave commandments to the apostles and goes on to say in verse 4 that he commanded them “not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise from the Father, ‘which,’ He said, ‘you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now’” (NKJV).

The surrounding passage of John 20:22 does not say the disciples actually received the Holy Spirit or, if they did, in what manner (we know from reading in the Old Testament that the Holy Spirit came upon prophets and others to give them power to prophesy)–because it does not say. However, the rest of relevant Scripture is not silent on this. It is abundantly clear the disciples did not receive the Holy Spirit as a permanent indwelling in John 20:22. In light of all the textual evidence and Jesus telling them he was sending them out, though they did not go immediately, it is probable that Jesus was telling them that they would receive the Holy Spirit though not in the immediate sense. Anyone who says they received the Holy Spirit in any sense really has a lot of Scripture with which to contend that says otherwise.

1 Like

Welcome, Rich! That’s an excellent question. Many scholars believe that Jesus was using the prophetic present tense in John 20:22, that is, telling the apostles (disciples) that they would, in the future, receive the Holy Spirit. In the same way, the prophetic present is being used when Jesus tells the apostles that He is sending them (to be witnesses), but then orders them to stay in Jerusalem until they receive empowerment [from the Holy Spirit] in Luke 24:49. Others believe that He was giving the Holy Spirit in a different sense in John 20:22, for salvation and the cleansing of sin, perhaps, while at Pentecost, they received the special divine empowerment promised in Luke 24:49.

2 Likes

Thank you Lindsay for your thoughts on this. I agree with some of the things you presented, however I disagree with your conclusion. and I would caution in using such absolute or dogmatic type language… such as: “It is abundantly clear the disciples did not receive the Holy Spirit as a permanent indwelling in John 20:22.”

It is not, abundantly clear, I think that is why it is heavily debated by many scholars. By using such language, you are no longer sharing your beliefs, you asking for a theological debate or argument rather than a discussion of shared ideas or understandings.

I believe the disciples did receive the Holy Spirit when Jesus breathed on them in John 20:22 but because it doesn’t fit into today’s modern theological thinking… which is why many then apply a eisegesis explanation of this verse rather then accept plainly what the text is saying. And there is a much bigger context than just the selective passages you point out in which to support your interpretation or understanding.

I hope my reply does not offend you. And I am grateful for what you shared.

1 Like

Hi, @RichChatfield. Thank you for reading and responding. I can see how you took it this way. However, what I meant is that there is abundant evidence in Scripture to support the conclusion that the disciples did not receive the Holy Spirit at that moment in John 20:22. That is my opinion and my opinion only.

Also, I am interested in the fact that you mention this is heavily debated among scholars. I am curious as to which scholars and sources you are talking about, as my studies have not led me to see heavy debate. I know there is some debate, but I have not seen anything that I would call heavy. I do go to a charismatic church that believes in the baptism of the Holy Spirit and would probably not agree with my conclusion, either. For me, though, I think the evidence from Scripture leads to the conclusion I have drawn. You asked for a position and I gave you one, and in that context, I thought it would be understood that I am speaking of my own position and what my thoughts are on it. So forgive me for the misunderstanding. I look forward to reading the thoughts of others on this as the discussion moves forward.

In Christ,

Lindsay

1 Like

Thank you Katherine, Yes I would fall more in the 2nd group you mentioned though I have seen many people who would be classified in the 2nd group share what they believe on this and I would disagree with much of their thinking as well.

I do believe the disciples received the Holy Spirit in John 20:22, but it was in a different sense than receiving the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

Strangely enough the difference I believe can be understood in that what transpired in John 20:22 was after the resurrection but before the ascension.

Acts 2:32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

Acts 2:33 shows clearly that the Father gives to the Son the Holy Spirit and Peter further explains that what is being witnessed at Pentecost is Jesus pouring out the Holy Spirit on the Disciples with the “Baptism of the Holy Spirit”. This is also confirmed by Jesus in Acts 1:4&5 which says…

Acts 1:4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

So what happened in John 20:22 couldn’t be the baptism of the Holy Spirit, because the baptism of the Holy Spirit wasn’t available until after Jesus ascended to receive the Holy Spirit from the Father…

So that then leads us back to the question, what then happened in John 20:22. I believe they did receive the new life or the birth of the Holy Spirit in Christ and it should be noted that the Holy Spirit which was poured out at Pentecost only was poured out on those who did receive the Holy Spirit when Jesus breathed upon them.

For me, there is a much larger context here in that Jesus when sending the disciples… in Matthew 28 he sent them and told them to baptize in the name of the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, yet at this transitional time prior to Christ Ascension, the baptism of the Holy Spirit was not yet available which is why Jesus told them to wait in Jerusalem until the Baptism of the Holy Spirit happened to them.

Through out the book of Acts, we see a period of transition for the early church. We see numerous where people had believed in Jesus but hadn’t even heard of the Holy Spirit and the disciples would go and lay hands on them so they could receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. As shown in Acts 19:1-

While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”

They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

Today, we are blessed to have the whole word of God and typically today when someone is baptized, they are baptized in the name of the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, but back during this transitional time of the church, we see clearly from scripture it was possible for someone to believe in Jesus, and yet not have received the Holy Spirit which is why the disciples had to go and lay hands on them so that they would be baptized in all three as Christ had commanded.

There are many conversions which happen throughout the book of Acts and very rarely are two exactly the same or in the same order. Sometimes, like at Cornelius House in Acts 10, Peter is preaching and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit happens… then afterwards Peter baptizes the whole household so that they would be baptized in the name of the Father and Son.

So what happened in John 20:22 was not the baptism of the Holy Spirit as I have shown form scripture because it was not available until after Jesus had ascended, but I do believe they did receive Spiritual rebirth and was 'Born again" in John 20:22 and God was bearing witness by the signs and wonders of this when He poured out the Holy Spirit upon those whom He gave life.

Thank you for sharing… and I decided to use my reply to you to share what my beliefs are on this as well.

God bless.

1 Like

Lindsay,
Sometime written communication is very hard because you don’t quite get to see the other persons tone or body language and its easy to misunderstand things. I truly didn’t mean to offend you in any way, and perhaps when I read you words, I attributed wrongly the dogmatic nature of them and so I am sorry.

As to it being heavily debated, I think that is a relative term. Perhaps I should watch my own use of words and should have just said it is debated and leave it at that.

In regards to you being in a charismatic church and yet holding to a differing view, I can sympathize with you on this as I feel I do not fit entirely in either camp. I think both have good arguments in presenting what they believe, yet I do not agree fully with either of them. I think the answer lies somewhere in between them and is why I am asking for others to share.

Again I do appreciate what you did share and I agree with much of what you said. If you read my response to Kathrine, you will see that I make the case you did that the what happened at John 20:22 was not the baptism of the Holy Spirit, but what happened in John 20:22 did happen and I believe we can understand it if we look at the larger context of the whole book of Acts and Matthew 28 where Jesus was sending the disciples just like it mentions in the context of John 20:22, Jesus gives the great commission of baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Today we do not have this issue as much in that when people believe and are baptized, they are normally baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit… so no problem, but during the transition of the Church… from the time Christ rose from the dead… and then ascended… and then Pentecost where the baptism of the Holy Spirit happened on the Jews… and then also in the same way on the Gentiles in Acts 10… and in all the other conversions that happened in the book of Acts… I see one consistent goal which is to ensure that all the believers were baptized into all three names of the Trinity and where they where only baptized in one or in two of the names because they lacked knowledge… the disciples were went to correct it by laying on hands and ensuring they were baptized in the all three names. As the Church moved past this transition time, we do not see this problem happen as much, but I think we lost the understanding of what was transpiring at that time. As a result I see half truths and erroneous doctrines or just wrongful interpretations of what was happening.

Again thank for sharing what you believe on this.

God bless

1 Like

Yes!!! I brought this up to our Bible teacher not too long ago. I was working towards becoming credentialed as a minister within our denomination, and one requirement for that is that I can affirm that I believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit as being separate from receiving the Holy Spirit at the point of salvation. I had to go through and look at all the Scripture I could find on it and study it to see what I would conclude. I found what you did–that the times that the apostles laid hands on people happened to be when they were not baptized in all three names. I teach the baptism classes at our church, and I now include this in my teaching. I always ask them if they know why we baptize in all three names of the Trinity, because there is a Jesus movement that is growing (though I am uncertain how quickly) that only baptizes in Jesus’ name. First and foremost, I tell them Jesus commanded that people be baptized in all three names of the Trinity. Second, I tell them that throughout redemptive history, all three persons of the Trinity are involved in the acts of God. They may each have their own unique roles, but even with that, the whole Trinity is always involved somehow in the working out of the salvific plan. So glad you brought that up! By the way, my Bible teacher, who does not happen to believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit as our denomination teaches it, did acknowledge what I brought up. He agrees.

Anyways, this has been absolutely stimulating, so thanks so much! We’ve had great input so far, and I’m sure we will see others come into the discussion, if not within the next few days- perhaps at the beginning of next week. I am often on more during the weekends and find that conversation seems to slow during those times. But I am hoping others will join in. You never know what people will bring to the table here, and it’s exciting to read the variety of responses.

Take care, Rich. I hope you continue to participate in Connect via both questions and responses. I don’t know if you’ve fully explored Connect or not, but we have plenty of categories where people are asking questions, and I"m sure you would have a lot to bring to the table in response :slight_smile:

In Christ,

Lindsay

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts on this passage, Rich. I happen to believe that the two explanations are not necessarily incompatible. Jesus could be talking about a present action of the Holy Spirit (regeneration) in John 20 and also in a prophetic sense about what would happen later at Pentecost. Jesus occasionally did this, e.g., when He spoke of His own impending death and related it to future destruction of the Temple.

1 Like

@psalm151ls,

Excellent answer. The only thing I would really add is the context of John 17 seeing as how the disciples were the ones to spread the message of the Gospel. 12 disciples represent the 12 tribes of Israel and Paul represents how the Gospel would spread to the gentiles. 12 is sufficient, 13 leaves no doubt.

And can I ask you a question without getting contentious at all? I just want to know if there has to be a specific order or not and also how you explain instances in Acts where there was only a water baptism.

Hi, @Jesse_Means_God_Exists Jesse. Good to hear from you! Apologies, but in regard to what are you asking about a specific order? Are you talking about a specific order of water baptism and baptism in the Spirit?

I put together this list of scripture passages from Acts where it refers to people being saved… What I discovered was that very rarely were two alike as they each seem to have unique situations or even things happened in a different order. What this tells me is that you can’t place God or His methods in a box. that God will meet people wherever they are at as He and he alone is the author and finisher of each of our faith. I will let you read these accounts and hope that will help in answering your question.

Acts 2:8 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” 40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

Acts4:3 They seized Peter and John and, because it was evening, they put them in jail until the next day. 4 But many who heard the message believed; so the number of men who believed grew to about five thousand.

This seems to follow Peter’s example…
Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.
BUT…
Acts 8:14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

34 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?” [37] 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.

Acts 9:17 Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, 19 and after taking some food, he regained his strength.

Acts 9:34 “Aeneas,” Peter said to him, “Jesus Christ heals you. Get up and roll up your mat.” Immediately Aeneas got up. 35 All those who lived in Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.

Acts 9:40 Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, “Tabitha, get up.” She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up. 41 He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called for the believers, especially the widows, and presented her to them alive. 42 This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord. 43 Peter stayed in Joppa for some time with a tanner named Simon.

Acts 10:42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues[b] and praising God.
Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Acts 11:15 “As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. 16 Then I remembered what the Lord had said: ‘John baptized with[a] water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?”

Acts 11:21 The Lord’s hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord.
22 News of this reached the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. 23 When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. 24 He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.

Acts 13:48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

Acts 14:21 They preached the gospel in that city and won a large number of disciples.

Acts 16:13 On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there. 14 One of those listening was a woman from the city of Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message. 15 When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. “If you consider me a believer in the Lord,” she said, “come and stay at my house.” And she persuaded us.

Acts 16:29 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized. 34 The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole household.
35 When it was daylight, the magistrates sent their officers to the jailer with the order: “Release those men.” 36 The jailer told Paul, “The magistrates have ordered that you and Silas be released. Now you can leave. Go in peace.”

Acts 17:34 Some of the people became followers of Paul and believed. Among them was Dionysius, a member of the Areopagus, also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others.

Acts 18:7 Then Paul left the synagogue and went next door to the house of Titius Justus, a worshiper of God. 8 Crispus, the synagogue leader, and his entire household believed in the Lord; and many of the Corinthians who heard Paul believed and were baptized.

Acts 18:24 Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor[a] and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. 26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately.

Acts 19:There he found some disciples 2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”
“John’s baptism,” they replied.
4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

Acts 22:12 “A man named Ananias came to see me. He was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there. 13 He stood beside me and said, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight!’ And at that very moment I was able to see him.
14 “Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. 15 You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

1 Like