Identifying What Stage a Seeker is In - Helpful?

(SeanO) #1

I’m still reading through ‘Fool’s Talk’ by Os Guiness and he mentioned the idea that seekers can actually be in two stages. The first stage is when they are trying to find a worldview that answers the questions in their heart that have caused them to give up long held presuppositions and become a seeker. The second stage is when they have found a worldview that seems to fit and are trying to determine if it is actually true or not.

1. Stage One - Which worldview answers my questions?

2. Stage Two - Is this worldview true?

What do you guys think about this dichotomy of seekers? How could this be helpful in terms of evangelism and apologetics?

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #2

This reminds me of Abdu Murray’s The Grand Central Question. Depending on the person’s worldview and maybe situation, we could say that the person will hold to a pressing or valuable question for them personally. We need to answer them in such a way that they would see the beauty of Christianity, that even if they don’t believe that it’s true, they would wish that it would be. From there, then we could show them that it’s indeed true. Being aware of this, this would help in our evangelism and apologetics, since we will know from which vantage point we would explain our arguments and the gospel, for them to appreciate it better.

(SeanO) #3

Great point @omnarchy! Matching the desire of the heart of the listener to the truths of Christianity is powerful stuff.