If a friend is sick, should I evangelize to them? What if they become born again and are still sick and leave God?

Hi Matthew, I recently joined RZIM connect and was so amazed by this platform full of deep and very respectful discussion, especially we get the chance to ask our own questions and get very thoughtful answers. I feel so blessed !!!
Before I ask my real question, I am just wondering whether you have been to China ? The introduction mentioned you have been to Asia, so I am just curious :slight_smile: Me and my son love Japanese noodle and Sushi :sushi::slight_smile:
Okay, now real question. I have a very close high school friend back in China, who got very sick in college. Modern medicine didn’t help at all, then she turned to other ways. Then she found Indian “Sahaja Yoga”. Following their physical and also spiritual practice, she miraculously got cured ! She told me she would never leave the “mother”—-the founder of “Sahaja Yoga” :frowning:
I have been spreading Gospel through articles and podcasts to thousands of people in China for many years. But she is the one that I care so much but I even dare not talk to her about religion issues. I am sure she sees all the materials I have shared and I know she is still perusing her way through social media posts. She told me once that we should not mention religious stuff when we talk, just let it be.
My biggest concern is her health. I know that sickness and the great pain almost drove her crazy, and almost caused suicide( according to her description) . And I know one reason she would never leave the “mother” is the fear that it would come back if she “betrays”.
I know our Lord is BIGGER, I know I should not have the fear, I know the eternal life with God is definitely much much more important than the short lifespan on earth. But, I think only a mature Christian who is sure about the truth and the way and the life would be able to say “okay, if I will be sick for the rest of my life, but I still have God, it’s fine.” I am afraid, if with my help she comes to Jesus, and then she gets sick again, and her husband and her son and all the other family members will blame me…and she doesn’t want to talk about it anyway…
Should I just pray for her and leave her alone as she requires ? Or do you have other suggestions? (After typing these words, I realized I shouldn’t be afraid of the blames, if that’s the cross I need to carry, right ? But what about “leave me alone” part?)
Thank you very much !!!

Shu

4 Likes

Hi Shu Yang, thank you for your warm message! I have been to China, and I enjoyed my time there throughly! I only wish the Chinese food was as good in America as it was over there. :slight_smile:

I love hearing about your concern for your friend and your desire to share the good news of the gospel message with her. I’m not very familiar with Sahaja Yoga, but from your description and from reading a few quick articles on the internet, it bears a lot of signs of a cult. Promises of health and prosperity for those who give financially, the discouragement of questioning authority, the threat of curses and sickness if you leave the faith—these are hallmark signs of a cult. It may be hard to help your friend to see this as she experienced what she believed to be healing. If she truly was healed, it is not difficult to explain in the scope of Christianity—the Bible explains that there are other spiritual forces in the universe besides God and his servants, and sometimes these can manifest in power (such as Pharaoh’s magicians in Exodus).

She needs to understand that this temporary, physical healing cannot compare to the eternal, complete healing that Jesus can provide in eternity. Jesus didn’t just point to the way, he is the way, and while Nirmala Srivastava has passed away and remains dead, Jesus rose again. He is the greater guru—has she ever read his words and considered what he said?

You know your friend—if she truly would be offended by talking about these issues, then you may need to simply pray for her. But sometimes it’s worth a some discomfort to begin these conversations. If you come with humility, explaining how much you love her and care about her well-being, people will sometimes open up. You can begin by asking questions about what she believes, why she believes it, and how it makes her feel. Does she feel satisfied in life? Does she feel valuable? How confident is she in what she believes? These kinds of questions can open up deeper issues and offer you the chance to share what you believe and why.

I hope that’s helpful! Let me know what you think.

2 Likes

Hi,Matthew, thank you so much for your reply. Following your questions, I actually remembered maybe the only one time conversation that my friend and I had about this topic. Maybe more than 10 years ago, so it’s kind of vague…

I think she told me she was satisfied with her life, she felt like she found herself through that “mother”, very confident about what she believed…and few years ago, her family suffered from a very huge financial loss, she also told me that she survived only because she had that spiritual support…I think I did not say too much as I did not think it’s a good time to tell her different opinions to make her feel uncomfortable or sad…just could not find the right timing :frowning:

Yes! That’s what I will tell her one day, when I have the courage to talk to her about it. I have been imagining the dialogue in my mind for long time.

I don’t think she has read the Bible. But now I remembered she said something that she picked up from her group…like how can you believe in Bible as it might have been modified by lots of people over thousands of years…if God sent his son Jesus to this world, then what if he has sent lots of sons to this world and we just don’t know…I think at that time I thought it’s too ridiculous, I was kind of speechless :rofl:

Thanks again for answering my question and reminding me about our old conversation through your questions. I think I can do two things: 1) Go ahead and send her the Bible as a Christmas gift ! In this case, she will not be offended. A Christmas gift, the Bible, so related, right? It’s not right that I did not do anything else in all these years just because I did not think she was ready for a good talk. 2) Get well prepared for any questions she will have when she gets to open the Bible…things like why did they describe Jesus’ resurrection differently in the four Gospels…or how do you know which words are from God while there are so many different versions out there…I am planning to take the Core Module in RZIM Academy, maybe at the beginning of next year(too much work this year). Or do you have any other resources to recommend before I do that?

Oh, by the way,

Amen to that!!! :rofl: However, I can buy Chinese ingredients in Houston and cook at home. Let me know when you come to Houston next time, I am very much looking forward to cooking for any RZIM members who love Chinese food, haha.
God bless!!

Shu

1 Like

Hi Shu,

I agree with your action steps! If you feel that she would be open to receiving a Bible, there’s no substitute for reading the word of God ourselves. And if you do the core module, that will get you on the right track to being prepared to having this conversation. The sooner you can do that, the better, and you may want to check out some other resources as well. Have you ever read the book, The Case for Christ? That will help to answer some of the questions your friend had about the Bible being changed over the years (it hasn’t been–we know because we have thousands of copies from those years that all say the same thing!), or why Jesus is God’s only son, because he’s the third member of the trinity and is himself God. This doctrine might be confusing to her at first, but it’s true, and it helps us understand why Jesus died for us. He wasn’t some unrelated third party dying on our behalf. He was the very God to whom we owed our debt, taking on that debt himself, and dying in our place.

Praying for your conversation with her! God bless!

2 Likes