If a Muslim admits that Christ is the Son of God, but not God, is this acceptable within Islam? How can I move them closer to Christ from this point?

Hi Abdu,

Thank you so much for your testimoney and ministry. I have found it encouraging and helpful. I have two questions if that’s OK? (That’s not one of them! :slight_smile:).
I have worked with Muslim refugees. I spent a lot of time with one young man from Sudan and we would often talk about the Bible. On the last day that I knew I would see him I asked him what he thought about Jesus after all our conversations. He said the following: “I can accept that Jesus is the son of God. After all, I believe in the virgin birth; however, I cannot believe he is God.” I have never heard a Muslim go as far as to call Jesus the Son of God. Would this be an acceptable conclusion within Islam, and how could I have helped my friend take another step towards the deity of Christ?

My second question (or is it really my third?). I was reading an English translation of the Koran and the first words in Surah 2 are the letters, Alif, Lam, Min. Do you know what is the significance of these letters at the start?

Thanks & blessings.

2 Likes

Hi Keith,

I’m thrilled that you’re so intentionally witnessing to the Muslims God brings your way. I’ll afford you a modicum of the great grace I’ve been afforded and proceed as if you’ve only asked 2 questions!

First, that he even said that Jesus could be God’s Son is remarkable, as most Muslims would consider even the idea to be monstrous (in fact, the Qur’an specifically calls the idea monstrous (Sura 19:88-92). But I wouldn’t go there with him, as it might scare him away from any progress he’s making. What I might say, therefore, is this: Doesn’t someone’s “offspring” share the same nature as the parent? IN other words, humans have human offspring, not giraffes, while birds have bird offspring, and the like. The offspring always shares the same nature as the parent. Thus, if Jesus is God’s Son, he would share the same nature as God - divine being.

But Jesus isn’t God just because of the virgin birth. That may be a sign, but it isn’t sufficient to prove his divinity. The reason I believe Jesus is God is because he said he is God, died on a cross, and then rose again to prove he was right. May I suggest getting my book Grand Central Question in which I discuss the theological, philosophical, and biblical foundations for the divinity of Jesus. The fact that he’s even willing to concede that Jesus is God’s son is a huge step!

As for your second question, unfortunately, I don’t have any answer for what those letters mean. The reason I don’t have an answer is because no one does. Islamic scholars only have theories and none of them enjoys anything like a consensus of opinion. They could be scribal errors, notations, or something else.

I hope this answer helps, Keith!

5 Likes