If I Acknowledge God’s Existence, Won’t That Prohibit My Happiness?

Freedom for many often means the absence of constraint and restriction, especially those which make you accountable to some kind of god. But, RZIM Asia-Pacific’s Alex Stark suggests we might not understand what that kind of abstract freedom entails: “Even if I’m free to do anything I choose, that doesn’t mean I’m free to do everything I want. There’s always a limitedness to being a human.” Hear more in today’s Take Five, “Freedom: How to Flourish,” as Alex shows us seeking freedom from God actually works to our own demise.

The freedoms we want, they often conflict, and so it’s practically impossible to say that freedom means the absence of constraints because we always have to choose between different constraints.

You can’t talk about what it means to be truly free unless you talk about what it means to be truly human. Only once you’ve done that can you say, “this freedom is more valuable than this freedom, and therefore I’m willing to implement these constraints over these constraints.”

None of us were created to be free from God. We were created to be sons and daughters of our heavenly Father.

Make it Personal

• “There is always a limitedness to being a human.” How does our limitedness help to shape your understanding of the Christian life?

• How do you flourish in a world that prizes freedom?

Over the years, what I have found is the perspective from knowledge, i.e., the brain, and perspective from experience, rooted in the heart. The saying, “None of us were created to be free from God” is more rooted in the brain as our heart beckons, “All of us were created to be free in God”. What we perceive to be free is truly a matter of understanding, we are spirit beings experiencing physical sensations that, unless trained properly, often, the physical sensations (will, emotions, feelings) misled us and fool us, “There is a way that seems right unto a man and in the end lead to destruction” (Proverbs 14:12). There is much, much more to say but do contemplate the ramifications of this. Now that I am older, I have a freedom beyond comprehension and joy for pleasing the Lord. The sinful ways of the world are so clear and distasteful to me, truly, what freedom awaits those who choose to seek The Lord with all their heart and my friends, what you shall find is amazing, ineffable, beautiful and surely, you shall be free! For it is in the heart where our essence is. Here are a few scriptures that go along with that:
“Above all else, guard your heart , for it is the wellspring of life” (Proverbs 4:23)
“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.” Ezekiel 36:26
“therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.” 2 Cor 4:16-18
My prayer for all who read this is that The Spirit of The Lord, stir you to His truth and that either today or one day soon, you shall experience The Freedom Jesus, our Lord, spoke of! Peace and grace my friends!

1 Like