If Jesus died for all of our sins, is there any sin which is unforgivable?

I have a question! If Jesus died for all of are sin and all we have to do is except salvation and follow him then is there any unforgivable sin.

3 Likes

Hi Duke,

Thanks for your question! You are completely correct, Jesus’ death covers all of our sins.

One of my favorite passages in Romans reminds us:

“For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

(Romans 5:5–8 ESV)

All of us have sinned and we were all powerless to fix our broken condition. Jesus came and died to pay the price for those sins and to make a way for our hearts and lives to be made right with God again. The gospel is “good news” because it’s an incredible free gift. All we have to do is say yes, and we receive forgiveness and a new, eternal relationship with the living God.

That being said you may have heard that the Bible mentions an “unforgivable sin”. This is the passage which is usually being referenced when someone mentions that.

“Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.”

(Matthew 12:31–32 ESV)

I’m going to link a helpful post from another community member @Pedro_Jimenez, he is answering a different question, but he does a great job explaining this verse, quoting the ESV study bible.

https://connect.rzim.org/t/should-i-cease-to-pray-for-my-unbelievers-friends/176?u=michelle_tepper

To summarize, the Bible is pretty clear that the only unforgivable sin is the willful and persistent rejection of Jesus Christ as Lord. All we have to do is say yes, but saying yes to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, means declaring that we are not God and that only He is. Those who refuse to admit their sin and the offer of love Christ offers through their entire human life only become unforgivable by their own persistent refusal of repentance.

Though a sobering thought, we can find hope in the reality that God is always pursuing the hearts of his children. The Bible reminds us that all of creation declares his glory and The Father’s desire is that none would perish before coming to know and love him in this life. As evangelists, our goal is to take every opportunity to make safe spaces for people to repent and turn to Christ.

Great question,
Michelle

2 Likes