If the Trinity is united as one, would a person of the trinity not no something the other does? For instance the last day, Jesus did not know but God did

““But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:36‬ ‭NIV‬‬

This is the verse of which I am trying to understand. Maybe it is ignorant to do this as God is mysterious and deep far from complete understanding. Would the Jesus not know something that God knows? Jesus was 100% and 100% man. The trinity has secrets against each other?

1 Like

Hey Joseph @jfloyd33, great question. Another person just asked it and so I’m going to refer you to that page below.

Hope it helps.
God Bless.

Hi!

Well, I think this is a hard theological question. You are right when you say that Jesus was 100% men and 100% God. Ans several times like for example with the Samaritan woman he himself presented as the son of God and the Messiah. Now, if we take a look at the doctrine of Jesus, for example 1 Corinthians 15:21 says that because the sin came trough men, it should also leave through men. Referring to the death and crucifixion of Jesus. So, as he presents himself as the “son of men” during this state he could not know certain thoughts of the father. But, as son of God he did knew. I think this is also a translation issue, for example the NKJV says: “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but my father only" Here he is not saying literally that the son of God is not aware of this situations, it doesn’t even mentions the son of God. It just says that the father know. Therefore, because of the trinity he also knows.

It’s a tough question, I think I did my best so I hope it can helps.
Blessings

This is a really tough question we can only speculate about. My guess is that in the form he was at that time, he might not have. I’ve always wondered if in private conversations with God, if God was telling Him things that might be getting ready to happen or things that He would need to know in the short term. If God knew that question was coming and did not want Jesus to have to answer it, this would be one way. I could be completely wrong, but this verse does make you wonder.

I also find it interesting that, as Juan points out, there are translations that don’t state it this way.

Great question!

Good question @jfloyd33. It is true that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are co-equal in all of the attributes of God, including omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence and so on.

However, when Jesus entered this world, Philippians 2:5-9 describes how He voluntarily did not use His divine attributes. Hebrews 2:9 says that He was made temporarily lower than the angels. The reason for this was because one of His purposes in coming to earth was to demonstrate to the rest of us how we should live - to be an example for us to follow (I Peter 2:21).

Well, obviously we don’t have all the “omni-” attributes of God, so if we’re supposed to follow His lead, then He would have to do life as a man - handicap Himself in a way that we could follow.

So He made Himself just as limited in power and wisdom and so forth as any mortal would be. He performed no miracles, He preached no sermons, He displayed no supernatural wisdom that any other mortal could not have displayed - until after His baptism when the Spirit anointed Him. And from that time forth, He began doing all of His mighty works in the wisdom and power of the Spirit, at the direction of the Father - just as He tells His followers to do.

So if He didn’t know the day or hour of His return, it was only because the Spirit did not reveal it to Him. If He did supernaturally know what His enemies were thinking on various occasions, it was only because the Spirit did reveal it to Him. And He said that the works He did, His followers could do also, and even greater works than these.

But the night before His crucifixion, in John 17:5, He prayed for His Father to glorify Him with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. At His resurrection, He began once again using all of His divine powers, not as the Spirit filled Son of man, but as the Son of God Himself. I’m pretty confident that He knew then the time of His return. But when His disciples, asked Him one last time before He ascended to heaven, He still told them it wasn’t for them to know the times or seasons - Acts 1:7.

I hope this helps you to make sense of this.

6 Likes

Jesus has a divine nature and human nature. As having a human nature, Jesus lived with the limitations of being human (He slept, he ate, he had flesh and bones etc.). In Philippians 2:7 it says ‘But made himself of no reputation…’ This phrase means he emptied himself of being fully God hence why Jesus did the things mentioned above. Jesus saying he didn’t know the hour is confirmation he has a human nature.

Hello OmRam,

I think this was more due to the fact that Jesus had humbled himself at this point. As it says in Philippians 2:5-11, “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

Christ humbled Himself, and while He was still 100 percent God, He had taken on the form of a human. He “emptied Himself” and took the form of a servant. So He did not even count equality with God a thing to be grasped, even though He was God.

So, I don’t really think He had this knowledge and just said that He didn’t know to the disciples. That would not really follow with God’s character because that would be lying. I think rather that at this time in His life, He had emptied Himself of this divine knowledge, and was simply focused on following His Father’s plan for salvation.

God bless.

Matthew

2 Likes

Wow, this is very insightful God bless you.

A post was split to a new topic: Removed Posts for Thomas Dale 2

I agree with all the answers here. I’d like only to share my point of view on this;
When a man and women were to be married (Jewish tradition) the family would begin to prepare everything ready for the ceremony, all knew that the marriage was nearing, however only the father of the household knew the exact day when all things were ready and it was he who decided the day.
As Christ is in a way betrothed to the woman who is congregation, we see all these things drawing close, but again the one who knows the day is the Father.

1 Like

Wonderful question with deep theological implications. @jlyons.

If the Father knows something, it is interesting to comprehend how Jesus does not also know it since He is equal with God. However, when Jesus took on human form, He accepted the limitations of His divine attributes (Phil 2:6–8 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.)

It may be that Jesus Christ is not privy to this knowledge now because he was in his exalted state (compare John 17:1–5 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour comes; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was)

It is important to look at the exegesis of the verses and seek hermeneutical support in other passages. Sometimes we can be easily distracted by the exegesis of a text and do not look for further support to make an unsupported conclusion.

I hope that makes sense :upside_down_face:
Isn’t scripture wonderful
:grinning:

God Bless

1 Like