If you were sent to solitary confinement which Bible verse would you take printed?

Here’s a question I heard by R.C Sproul if you were to being sent to jail in solitary confinement and you could take one Bible verse with you which would it be and why?

Mine would be Job 38:4 “* Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.*”

The reason being is it I find it a stark reminder that before God created the Universe he knew the sacrifice which he’d have to make for my sin. That’s before I consider how big the Universe is and how finely tuned God created it in order for me to live.

7 Likes

I like this verse because it reminds me of my identity: holy, chosen, and dearly loved, as well as exhorts me to love those around me; a reminder I would need in a situation like that!

Colossians 3:12 - You are always and dearly loved by God! So robe yourself with virtues of God , since you have been divinely chosen to be holy. Be merciful as you endeavor to understand others, and be compassionate, showing kindness toward all. Be gentle and humble, unoffendable in your patience with others.

5 Likes

I really love this idea David and reading yours and @SeanO’s verses. I have one that encourages me always and give me supreme comfort. Mine would be John 16:33: “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."” So much can be said about Jesus’s words, but I won’t say them here. This verse speaks so much triumph to me. I love it. :blush:

6 Likes

Mine will always be John 14:6. Because now that I can Prove Our God Created everything, I have the certainty that He will be waiting for me there, and the conviction That Jesus Christ was Historically on Earth. Therefore He was also in Creation, Genesis 1:3.

5 Likes

It would have to be the scripture that brought me through my first real trial 2 months after accepting Jesus as my Savior.

Isaiah 41:10 NKJV
Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
Mike

4 Likes

I am learning to use these facility to talk to real Christians, that are interested in conversations, about the reality of Christianity today.

2 Likes

I think it would be Hebrews 13:5 to remind me that He walks with me even there, and His Spirit will empower me to live a simple, godly life and heart even there.

3 Likes

Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

6 Likes

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth…the whole chapter has been a massive source of comfort over the years.

1 Like