Illness

Why is there no healing for my lifelong disease?

5 Likes

I am very sorry to hear of your struggle, @Shanti. :disappointed: I am intrigued by your question, though, mainly because I am not sure there’s an answer for it. Do you believe there is a certain reason? And when you say ‘healing’, are you thinking more on the miraculous (or spiritual) side or medicinal/medical side?

4 Likes

Hi @Shanti,

Sorry to hear that. Do you mind sharing more details about your struggle?

There’s all kind of theology on unanswered prayers, or not-yet-answered. My wife and I are still awaiting a child for 11years. A miscarriage in the 3rd year. But the answer we, as the hurting and waiting, really need is more emotional than intellectual.

The worst thing we can inflict upon ourselves is to rack up unwarranted guilt, because not every unanswered prayer is due to sin, nor is it always our fault. Of course we have to be humble enough to honestly introspect ourselves. But sometimes it is just a divine delay, other times it is the proverbial thorn in the flesh, like the apostle Paul. (2 Cor 12:7-9)

Either way, it keeps us humble, testing our faith, and learning to say His grace is enough (easier said than done, that’s why it is faith-testing).

Only thing I can be sure of, is if we matured through it (doesn’t mean healing took place or the prayer is answered yet), but we really stood strong and became more mature despite of our condition, then we are more useful to God to be a source of strength or inspiration to others who are hurting and waiting too, that God placed in our circle of influence.

With all that said, I sincerely do pray and hope you will receive healing or comfort in your waiting period, in Jesus’ name.

Love and blessings in Christ,
Roy

4 Likes

Your question is both elegant in its simplicity and honesty. I would venture to conclude we all know this dilemma. We all have unanswered prayers. We all have the why questions whether we ask GOD, ourselves, or one another. The ask is the noble thing. The answers we are not always happy with.

I think my why questions always lead to a wider examination of why I pray to be released. I am comfortable admitting I view the physical or spiritual deliverance as a right to normalcy. I don’t want to be discomforted in such a painful and consistent manner. Doesn’t being delivered indicate GOD’s favor? At the very least demonstrates GOD’s power and existence? My deliverance is a win-win. Benefits me and shows GOD’s love for me. Something for GOD and me.

But I am reminded how the Apostle Paul prayed in 2 Corinthians 12:5-10. “Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities. For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be , or that he heareth of me. And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

In Matthew 26:38-39 JESUS; "saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying,O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt ."

Three times JESUS would petition in prayer, but as we all know that cup was not passed.

Why GOD has not granted you the healing you have longed and prayed for; I can not say. Your reason may be similar to Apostle Paul. Or my own. But in the climax of all our desires, needs, and wants; we must end at the feet of JESUS resolute in our determination that not our will but GOD’s be done.

It is human enough to want your healing and I would encourage you to continue in prayer for that healing until GOD says differently. But if GOD never grants the physical healing, you can still trust Him to be working out His best for your life. Know that you stand in a great cloud of witnesses. Believers that have lived their lives in obedience to GOD, despite physical obstacles. Such people of faith have absolutely led the church and helped change this world.

4 Likes

Dear @Shanti,

I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering from some, what seems to be a, chronic condition. Thank you for sharing. As someone who suffers from a chronic autoimmune condition, I CAN CERTAINLY RELATE.

Though I don’t have an answer to your question, I have learnt a few things through my journey that might motivate you through yours. As my mother always says, “The only way out is through”.

I was diagnosed with a condition called Neuromeyelitis Optica (NMO) in January 2014 after my symptoms started on 15 December 2015. NMO is a very rare condition (less than 1 in a million people have it world wide) where your immune system proceeds to attack your optic nerves and spinal column. This leads to either blindness or paralysis or both for 40% of the patients within 4 year. Approximately 20% of patients do not survive beyond 4 years…

This happens in so called attacks or relapses. My 11th attack in March 2015 would leave me completely blind and paralyzed from the chest down. Below is a video (the second video) of a television interview done with me in 2018, detailing my journey, but I will provide a summary herein too.

On 5 April 2015 I asked my neurologist what my giant looked like. He answered that he 'believed that I would see again, but probably never read again and that, IF I would ever walk again, it wouldn’t be within 6 months. I was in it for the long run.

On 7 April I laid in my hospital bed crying! The reality hit me. I felt like I was breathing, but dead. I prayed in desperation to the Lord asking, “WHY THIS? WHY ME? WHY NOT ‘X’?” And I mentioned someone’s name. At that time I realized that I was not being the man that I wanted to be…

But the Holy Spirit counselled me and said: “You will never get and answer to the ‘WHY-question’ that will satisfy you. But HOW TRUMPS WHY. You see HOW you go through something, that can give purpose to what you’re going through. Purpose to you and purpose to people around you

The next day, 4 people came to me while I was laying in the hospital bed, wearing a nappy and having a catheter inserted. Three complete strangers and one of the nurses who worked there. They started talking to me about their problems while I was lying in my situation.

That afternoon, on the 8th of April 2015, my toes started moving for the first time. The first video below of me walking with a walker was taken 10 days later on the 18th of April 2015.

It is my prayer that your HOW will trump your WHY during this journey. That you will find your purpose therein. And that you will ultimately find your healing therein too.

I am reminded of Paul’s thorn in 2 Corinthians 12 that God did not take away either, as @cer7 quoted above. Having this thorn and being in prison, Paul worked on his HOW by writing letters that we are quoting 2000 years later. His HOW certainly trumped his WHY and I am sure we can attest to the fact the he found his purpose therein too – whether in this life or the next.

I still have the condition, but it’s gone from being my crutch to being my pedestal. I have been blessed with and incredible wife and beautiful baby boy since then. I pray that this disease will provide you with a similar testimony of God’s faithful goodness. In Jesus’ Name. Amen

Walking with a Walker on 18 April 2015

Television interview in 2018

2 Likes