I'm Taylor

(Taylor V.) #1

Hey guys! I’m Taylor, a Georgia native, and I’ve been listening to the RZIM team for about 2 years now trying to dig deeper into Christianity and figure out what is and isn’t true about Jesus, and what he wants his Church to look like.

After finding out about this network, I wanted to get involved to learn, connect, encourage, and ask for encouragement from people who are open and dedicated to discovering who Christ really is.

I’ll see you out here!

7 Likes
(Cameron Kufner) #2

Welcome, Taylor! It’s nice to have you as a member of this online community.

If you want to learn more about Christianity and Jesus besides from this community, I recommend a few great books.

:black_small_square: Lee Strobel - The Case For Christ
:black_small_square:Josh McDowell - More Than A Carpenter
:black_small_square:Josh McDowell - The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict

Aa far as what Christ wants his church to look like, one of my favorite books from the NT on this topic is Titus.

Again, welcome aboard! God bless you, Taylor!

2 Likes
(Taylor V.) #3

Hey Cameron!

I’ll look into those books and start reading Titus! Thanks for those recommendations and a warm welcome! I appreciate it!

2 Likes
(Billie Corbett) #4

:raising_hand_woman:
Welcome, Taylor!

Blessings…:+1:

2 Likes
(Princess Shiela Servo Andres) #5

Welcome!

1 Like
(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi @Taylor,

It is great to meet another Georgian! We’d love to have you visit the Zacharias Institute for an event sometime. I look forward to learning more about Jesus with you!

2 Likes
(Taylor V.) #7

Yes! I’m hoping to get out to an event sometime soon!

1 Like
(William Oder) #8

Hello Taylor! I appreciate and understand your desire to learn and discover “who Christ really is.” There is a multitude of sources and directions you could explore. My favorite one is the study of the Biblical Greek of the NT. On the internet at no cost are many websites that are there for teaching and explaining.

1 Like
(Ty Bolen) #9

Welcome Taylor. See us out here indeed!

(Prashant Pradhan) #10

Welcome to Connect!

(Russell Stewart) #11

Hey there Taylor!

Welcome to Connect! Hope you can get directions here to find what you’re looking for. The very fact that you are looking for truth is sure evidence that God is calling you and you’re hearing Him. That’s awesome! The Bible, God’s written Word to you, let’s you know that the only reason anyone even thinks about “finding” the truth and finding Jesus is because God Himself put that desire there. (John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:) Left to ourselves, no man searches after God. (Romans 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.) God’s part and responsibility is to call us to Jesus and make us aware of our need for Him, and to provide the Way and payment needed to obtain eternal life. Yours, and everyone’s, responsibility is only to respond by accepting this free gift with the total exchanging of our lives for His. You’ll never be able to “figure out” God or His Bible by human intellect alone. That’s why the Bible tells us we need revelation by the Holy Spirit. God asks us to believe and then to understand but never to “figure it out” by our own intellect as that is limited by the experiences accrued only through our 5 senses which are referred to as “the flesh” in New Testament scripture. The Bible even specifically tells us that the Flesh and the Spirit of God are enmity against one another and that the Flesh cannot understand the things of the Spirit and has zero access to those realities. Only the spirit and mind of a “New Creation”, Born-again species of being can access this understanding by way of God revealing it to them. This is why Jesus said “You MUST be born again!” in order to access the things of the Kingdom of God experientially. Otherwise, it’s like a blind person trying to “figure out” color, or trying to “figure out” what the picture of some exotic fruit tastes like. The most they’ll end up with is an opinion that’s wrong. Psalms 34:8 Says, “O TASTE and see that the Lord is good:
blessed is the person that trusteth in him.” Because, the person with a real experience, will never be at the mercy of someone with an opinion. Even a child who has an experience is an expert compared to a genius with only an opinion. Long explanation for a short question. Hope it’s helpful in your quest. Good to have you bro! (Or Sis. Don’t want to assume)

1 Like
(Carson Weitnauer) #12

Hi @Kahu,

I would be interested to dialogue with you about this point:

God asks us to believe and then to understand but never to “figure it out” by our own intellect as that is limited by the experiences accrued only through our 5 senses which are referred to as “the flesh” in New Testament scripture.

For instance, it seems to me that Jesus offered compelling evidence to Thomas to resolve his doubts:

24 Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe.”

26 Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” 28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

This is very physical evidence, involving Thomas’s five senses, that led to belief.

Further, the word for ‘flesh’ in the Bible needs to be read with great care. For instance, consider John 6:63a:

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all.

This might seem as if Jesus is speaking quite negatively about our fleshly bodies.

Donald Guthrie comments:

The further statement that the flesh counts for nothing aims to draw their thoughts away from the physical to the spiritual. The statement here is relative. John has already declared that the Word was made flesh (1:14). Jesus was not underestimating the importance of his earthly life but was pointing out the need to catch at the spiritual meaning of his teaching.

Further, what are the implications, do you think, that Jesus himself became fully human? To me, that suggests that God loves and cherishes the physical world, including the physical nature of our humanity.

1 Like
(Taylor V.) #14

Thanks Bill! I feel like this is a good start. I picked up a copy of “How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth” (recommended by RZIM) hoping to learn how to properly understand what the authors of the Bible were trying to communicate. Hopefully, I’ll make more time to read it soon.

(out door ) #15

Welcome, from Gawga (Georgia) too!