Incest Topic

1. Is marrying one’s first cousin sin (both paternal and maternal cousin)?
  2. One of my friend is dating his mother’s cousin sister. They have three years age differences. Is their relationship acceptable?
    Please help me with these two questions.

Hi,
You’ve used the word incest in the topic heading, but then asked a question about acceptable marriage.

When I hear the word incest; my mind goes to the dictionary definition

• sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.
  • the crime of having sexual intercourse with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild.

and legal definitions; outlined for example here: https://definitions.uslegal.com/i/incest/
and specifically this paragraph from a Gotquestions article:

Another consideration is that incest today almost always involves a pre-pubescent or powerless victim, and the perpetrator is abusing his or her authority with the goal of unilateral sexual pleasure. By that standard, the “incest” of the Bible has nothing whatsoever in common with modern-day incest.

to your questions regarding marriage between cousins;

1. i would say the Leviticus 18:6-18 passage refers to direct family members, not cousins
  1. You’ve described two steps away; your mother’s cousin’s sister, so to me this doesn’t apply.

A New Testament example I can think of where the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthian church stating a man had relations with his fathers wife (probably his step-mother); and it was condemned as wrong is in 1 Corinthians 5. There a good commentary on the site for a little further reading.

I hope this is a helpful starting point for you to come to your own convictions? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, sir.

1 Like

I don’t have a clear answer to that but I know God’s law to the ancient Isreal was absolutely for their good, including the close-marriage laws. Consanguineous marriage is a known risk factor for the expression of dangerous autosomal recessive traits. I think it’s ok to value this love of God and avoid the pains of avoidable genetic diseases.
Just a medical perspective. Hope it helps😊