Influences: Culture or Scripture

(Quincy Bulla ) #1

Hello Fellow Followers of Christ!!
My name is Quincy (Q or QB) for short…:grin:.

My ? Is when we look at the culture, & us knowing that the culture is grossly influenced by Satan… & if we as followers of Christ not doing our due diligence in the study of His written Word & consistent fellowship with Our Lord Himself individually … could it be that our mindset are more so impacted by the worlds culture than the Kingdom of Gods culture? In other words are we more so influenced by the culture than the Fellowship of our Lord Jesus Christ & His Word. I’m asking this due several things that are occurring in the culture that seems like we’re as the body of Christ has not responded to… please note … I’m only speaking from my limited view point I know that our Lord knows what’s going on in His beloved across the globe…just curious of whose heart do we really have? Or who has grossly influenced our heart… I hope my ?, make sense… my ?s…my apologies somethings overlap…

2 Likes
Ask Michael Suderman (May 27-31, 2019)
(Brian Weeks) #2

Hi Quincy and thanks for your question. I think you’re right about our hearts and minds as believers being influenced by both the Word of God as well as the world, and that, overall, I’m more influenced by the world than I realize or would like to admit.

It also seems that this state is something not unique to our time, but rather common to humanity spanning across all time. Wasn’t that the motivation behind much of Paul’s epistles: to guard the church from being influenced by the world more than by Christ, the Scriptures, and the gospel?

I’m interested, are there any specific areas you have in mind here? What do you do in your own life to seek to remedy this?

2 Likes
(Quincy Bulla ) #3

Hey Bro. Im very glad that you responded… the battle to consistently attack this seems that to take seriously the Rom 12:1-2…it just seems like we in the Body of Christ…(I can only speak from a limited view point)…however if we’re to grossly influence, the world towards God & His Kingdom… We can’t be in bed with the world… as You mentioned our Bro Paul… He didn’t suger coat things… Are we really fearing the automatic persecution that’s to come for Being true to the One only True & Living God?.. Why are we so quick to water down or Rationalize His expressed Will written to our finite worldview? & if we’re saying that we are loyal to Christ 100% & then we’re more influenced & moved by the world…
Wouldn’t that really pose to ? Who really has our hearts… are we adulterers here? …(please pardon if it seems a bit random, Im trying to Express/convey this clearly, but its allot to unpack & allot that over laps)

(Quincy Bulla ) #4

For example we’re both married… so how would we really feel IF our spouses or us were…Not 100% into the relationship… wouldnt that cause some issues, can we be married to God & have the world as our mistress on the side…?

(Quincy Bulla ) #5

And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].
ROMANS 12:2

(Quincy Bulla ) #6

Areas of Individually, Marriage, Parenting, Occupational, even how we Do “church”…