Interview with Ryan Anderson: The Transgender Moment

transgender

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

I know that many of us are facing increased questions - and sometimes pressure - regarding the transgender movement.

I believe you will find this interview with Ryan Anderson to be helpful:

In particular, I really appreciated the interviewer beginning with this statement:

One of the things I admire most about you is your ability to absorb the nastiest, most personal, least fair-minded abuse from critics and yet still engage with people in total good-faith, all the time.

Along these lines, I am grateful for how Ryan Anderson emphasized the importance of love:

We should be tolerant—indeed, loving—toward those who struggle with their gender identity…

Also, here’s a nice chart summarizing some of the tensions within the claims made by the transgender movement (I believe Justin Taylor put this together from Ryan’s remarks):

transgendercontrasts

You may also find this Q&A to be something worth studying to be prepared for a conversation:

JVL: If you were counseling someone about how to talk about this subject with their friends, what’s the 30-second version of the case they should make for a sensible, compassionate approach?

RTA: 30 seconds? Okay . . . The best biology, psychology, and philosophy all support an understanding of sex as a bodily reality, and of gender as a social manifestation of bodily sex. Biology isn’t bigotry. Every human society has been organized around a recognition that men and women are fundamentally different, and modern science shows that the differences begin with our DNA and development in the womb. It is true that men and women differ among themselves, and that some people have difficulty identifying with their bodily sex. But this doesn’t mean that sex is either fluid or subjective, as transgender ideology maintains.

Many psychologists and psychiatrists think of gender dysphoria as similar to other dysphorias, or forms of discomfort with one’s body, such as anorexia. These feelings can lead to mistaken and harmful beliefs. The most helpful therapies do not try to remake the body to conform with thoughts and feelings—which is impossible—but rather to help people find healthy ways to manage this tension and move toward accepting the reality of their bodily selves. This therapeutic approach rests on a sound understanding of physical and mental health, and of medicine as a practice aimed at restoring healthy functioning, not simply satisfying the desires of patients.

I’m curious to hear your reflections on this interview with Ryan Anderson. I felt it was helpful for me to understand some of the latest thinking from activists as well as some kind but candid responses to their claims.

Is there contention between Homosexuals, Feminists and Transgender People?
(Kasey Leander) #2

Thanks for posting this Carson. Big fan of Ryan T. Anderson- he’s more needed than ever right now. This is a very emotionally charged question, and it can be difficult for Christians to give an answer, but I can’t help but think that it is the watershed issue for the church in our generation. How can we be faithful to the one who made us? How can we point other people to his loving embrace when it clashes with everything they think will make them happy?

(Kelly) #3

How do we help stem the tide? I know I’m to the point where I will not frequent establishments that do not have a male/female bathroom and also write to them to let them know why. I’m not trying to be unkind. I am certainly open to suggestions on how to take a stand that might be more appropriate. I ache for the youngest generation. I cannot image the anger and confusion of this young generation when they grow up and realize what has been done to them! Why aren’t more doctors speaking out against this lifestyle?? It seems that the scientific evidence is overwhelmingly against the transgender ideology.