Introduction: Andy Shaw

(Andrew Shaw) #1

Hi there,

I’m a Brit who moved to the US about 20 years ago. By education I’m an Environmental Engineer and by profession I’m a wastewater treatment process engineer aka a “poop engineer”! My wife and I have lived mostly in Kansas but also spent a little over a year in Perth, Western Australia and then in Singapore for 6 months on assignments. Last year we moved to Houston, Texas (yee ha!) to be closer to my wife’s family. We are part of a small but growing church in Pearland, TX.

I’m a sporadic blogger and recently started blogging on spiritual matters.

I’m a big fan of Ask Away as well as many of the books and videos produced by RZIM.

Cheers!

Andy

(SeanO) #2

@Andrew_Shaw Welcome to Connect. I am also an engineer by trade and enjoy it - though I must say computer engineering is not quite as attention grabbing. Enjoyed your testimony of overcoming peer pressure to follow the Lord - He is worthy! May the Lord Jesus bless you and your family as you grow in the grace and knowledge of Him.

(Keldon Scott) #3

Welcome aboard @Andrew_Shaw. Glad you have joined us. I trust it feels good to be settled in one location with family. Or, did you enjoy this substantial travel you engaged? Your skills and talents will be very well received here, and they will be a blessing to this forum I am certain. Participate often. Best to you In your church as well as your time here.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #4

Hello Andrew (@Andrew_Shaw). Welcome to Connect. Your experience will help us in this community. I look forward in growing with you. :slight_smile:

(Andrew Shaw) #5

Thanks. It is nice to be close to family for a while. For the first time since I can remember we will actually be in our home for Christmas and able to attend our home church on Christmas Eve! We definitely see all the travel as a huge blessing. I recall being in Singapore once singing the same worship songs as those I knew from the US (they loved Phil Wickham as do I!). To see how the Gospel transcends cultures half a world apart was very cool. The styles are a little different and the modes of worship shift, but to be standing with brothers and sisters in Christ on the other side of the world was awesome. God is working throughout the world.

(Andrew Shaw) #6

Cheers!

(Kathleen) #7

A poop engineer… I’m dying. :joy: But, really, that has to be one of the most important jobs on the planet, so I, for one, am so very thankful for people like you!

Warmest welcome to you, @Andrew_Shaw! We’re glad you’ve join us here!

(Keldon Scott) #8

So glad you will be enjoying here in the states, but I am sure the reflection and experiences transform your enjoyment here in ways many of us can never know.

(Andrew Shaw) #9

Number 1 for your number 2’s!

(Andrew Shaw) #10

I’m enjoying this book by fellow Brit Os Guinness: Last Call for Freedom. It’s giving me a new appreciation for the United States and the Constitution.

(Ken Rose) #11

Aloha Andy,

Welcome to Connect. You sir, do God’s work!

I spent a year in Kabul, Afghanistan; beautiful people, extremely dirty place. About once every 10-days, KBR contractors would pump the septic tank in front of our office in the camp we lived/worked. Invariably, they would spill ‘black water’ directly in front of my office door. It became my mission every time I heard their truck to watch them like a hawk; sometimes yelling, sometimes crude gestures, sometimes telling them how to do their jobs to prevent waste spilled in front of my office. I was not a model Christian. This is one of my ‘unfortunate’ memories while in Afghanistan.

Promised myself, I would never take lightly those providing waste management service, ever! Every time I pass a waste management plant, I praise the Lord for all those inside keeping our society clean. From the bottom on my heart, ‘Mahalo nui loa’ (Hawaiian for thank you very much) for everything you do. You are a bedrock stone in western civilization!

Perhaps not the welcome you expected. I am VERY thankful you are part of RZIM Connect, Welcome!

Ken