Introduction: Bill Spencer

member_introductions

(Bill Spencer) #1

From Colorado Springs, Colorado, hello everyone and thanks for letting me connect. I’m eager to join with you in this forum as well as attend the Emerging Apologist Program in the June 2018 cohort.

What a blessing that I was raised in a Christian home and was “positionally” saved at an early age—Christ took my rightful place on the cross when I was only 11 years old. But it wasn’t until later in life, as is the case for so many raised in a Christian home, that I discovered that God also wanted an experiential relationship with me, connected to the cross of Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit. That happened in the summer of 1975. Ever since, I’ve continued down that sanctification highway with Him and I’m growing still.

There are other ways to describe me. I am a retired Air Force officer (29 years) and reconnaissance pilot who just can’t seem to retire. I don’t really find anything about “retiring” in the scriptures anyway.

After the Air Force, I taught social science in a charter school briefly and then worked for nearly eight years at Focus on the Family in their public policy department. Now I teach part-time for Colorado Christian University (business courses), receive the blessing of welcoming brothers and sisters in Christ into Woodmen Valley Chapel’s Monument campus on the weekends, and go fly fishing from time to time.

Most of all, I enjoy our family who, for the time being, is entirely located nearby. What a blessing for me and my bride of 41 years that our granddaughters (and other important people) are within a 40-mile radius. Our family mission statement? To contend for the cause of Jesus Christ in the world, by sending out generational leaders who pursue truth, and establish enduring legacies of agape love in their homes. The tag line? Launching leaders for truth, leaving legacies of love. And you know what’s neat about that? My family “gets it.” When it’s not going well for whatever reason, we fall back to the mission statement. Our family is strong, and we need to be. Still, God is good, and has blessed us all.

Thanks for reading—and connecting.

(SeanO) #2

@bkspencer381 Welcome to Connect! Look forward to hearing from you on the forums. It is encouraging to hear how you are teaching your family to rely upon the Lord and “seek His Kingdom first”. May the grace and love of Jesus Christ dwell among you richly always!

(Carson Weitnauer) #3

Hi Bill,

Thanks for introducing yourself! It is inspiring to hear how your family has come to fall back on your family mission statement. I would love to learn from you how you have built that into the fabric of your family culture. I have two young kids and am always trying to listen and learn to those who have gone before me.

I hope you enjoy Connect! We’d love to have you encouraging us along in the journey of faith and we hope to be an army of researchers, prayer partners, and encouragers for you as you come across various questions on the faith!

I look forward to meeting you at the ZI in June!

(Megan Kemp) #4

Hi Bill!

Wow, what fun to read your intro. You’re a great writer! And what a fascinating life you’ve had so far. I’m curious about what you did for Focus on the Family in public policy. What does that look like? What benefits came of your time there? How did things change because of the public policy work?

I did Emerging Apologists a year ago last month. It was a grand time and I loved meeting the fellow “emerging” apologists. Several of us commented on how it was so exciting to be together (though we’d all just met) and share the same passion for evangelism and apologetics!

I hope you have a wonderful time. I’ll be eager to hear your thoughts afterward.

Welcome to RZIM Connect!

Megan

(Bill Spencer) #5

Megan, Thank you for your many kind expressions. We are excited to see what God will do through our experiences with RZIM and beyond. We’ll stay connected for sure.
Blessings to you
Bill