Introduction: Carolyn Blount

(Carolyn Lafferty Blount) #1

Hi everyone. I am Carolyn. I recently retired after 30 years of teaching special education in the public schools. I am about to start a new journey with a local non-for-profit called: In My Father’s Kitchen. They were recently awarded a grant which will fund a program called Hire Ground. We will be working with the homeless and panhandlers in Syracuse, NY to help bring an end (hopefully) to panhandling. In My Father’s Kitchen has been building relationships with those who are homeless and feel invisible for eight years. To date, they have helped more than 100 friends off the streets and into housing. They also help connect individuals to organizations that will help them with emotional, mental, and financial support. Hire Ground will be another extension of IMFK for building relationships and helping people know that they are not invisible. Soon, Life House, another arm of IMFK will open which will help women out of sex trafficking. It is a privilege to be a part of IMFK and I am also looking forward to being a part of this community at RZIM.

(SeanO) #2

@Carolyn_Lafferty_Blount Welcome to Connect! May the Lord Jesus bless you as you engage with those who are living on the street so that you may have wisdom to share Christ and help them get back up on their feet. A pastor friend of mine recently gave me a book called ‘Sheltered by Jesus’ and I really enjoyed it. It was the story of how a pastor made a radical decision in order to serve the homeless in his area. Blessings!

(Carolyn Lafferty Blount) #3

Sean, Thank you for your kind words and the book recommendation. I will check it out.