Introduction: Della Stuart

member_introductions

(Della Stuart) #1

Hi everyone,
I have been a Christian for a while, but I am new to apologetics. My husband is not a believer, and I found that I struggled when he challenged me on science items as that’s not something that’s normally discussed at church. I also have 3 young kids that are starting to ask questions. I’ve been hearing of kids falling away from Christ when challenged as they do not know what to say or do. I want to give my kids as much knowledge as possible so hopefully that doesn’t happen, so I’ve been seeking out ways to learn more and get answers. It’s hard to find the time to do all the reading and studying I want while working during the day and taking care of the kids at night (my husband is going to school & taking classes at night), but I know I have to get started somewhere and do what I can. There’s so much information out there it’s overwhelming! It’s going to take me a while to get a grasp on it, but I’m excited to learn :slightly_smiling_face:

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi Della,

It is so cool to see you in Connect. I’m grateful for our friendship and the opportunity to discuss these issues at our church home. You have a great husband and I look forward to getting to know your kids over time. I know you’ll find Connect to be a great place to ask the questions your husband and kids ask you - pass them along to us and we’ll come around you in providing answers and resources!

(Dave Kenny) #3

Welcome @Della_Stuart!

Thank you for sharing part of your story. How old are the kids? Have you been a for your entire married life? Or is there an interesting testimony story tucked away in there?

There is a thread on connect that is explicitly citing resources for kids of all ages… I am grateful for this thread already as my kids span all over the age spectrum… I am looking for devotional daily type resources at this point as the kids are still “all in” on their faith experience…

Looking forward to hearing from you among the connect family

Dave

(Carson Weitnauer) #4

Here’s that thread: Apologetics for grade school children

(Della Stuart) #5

Thanks Carson :slightly_smiling_face: I’m so glad I found the Ask Your Question class!

Also, is there an app for this or is it only by logging in online?

(Della Stuart) #6

My kids are 9, 6, and 3. My oldest is a curious one and is the one asking most of the questions so far. I grew up Southern Baptist, so I’ve been in the church as far back as I can remember. I met my husband in the military - we’ve been married going on 13 years. In the military I kind of fell away from my faith. It was always in the back of my mind but I was not where I needed to be. I visited churches here and there. My husband went to church with me for a while but never converted. Then he started listening to science podcasts where there were several atheists. Now he’s not even interested in going to church with me. So now I try to learn what I can to defend my faith when he brings it up and to answer my kids’ questions so hopefully they will be strong in their faith.

(Carson Weitnauer) #7

There is! Here you go:
https://connect.rzim.org/t/rzim-connect-mobile-apps/1328

Be sure to also update your settings to ‘watch’ Categories so you get updates:

(Dave Kenny) #8

I find it interesting that there often seems to be times that your husband is the initiator of conversation here. Is he shifting onto the offensive? Has he begun to go on the attack?

I’m not sure if you have read much Francis Schaeffer, but his approach may be worth a look

I’m praying for you and your family, against division and strife, but always baring in mind that the eternal destiny of your husband is worth division and strife.

May God bless and keep you as you navigate these waters. May He also hold your children firmly in His hands (John 10:27-29)

Dave

(Della Stuart) #9

Thanks! I am set up with the app…much easier :slightly_smiling_face:

I have not heard of Francis Schaefer. I will check him out. I wouldn’t say my husband attacks. He doesn’t try to keep me from my faith, but he will discuss/argue what he thinks and what he believes Christians think.

Thanks for the information and prayers!

(Megan Kemp) #10

Welcome, Della! I’m glad you’re here and pray this is a life-changing resource as you dig further into apologetics. What kinds of questions have you found most difficult to answer, or for which you come up blank?

Again, welcome!