Introduction: Elias Kruger

(Elias Kruger) #1

Hi everyone,

I am a data scientist by profession and amateur theologian by passion. I grew up in Brazil and have been a Christian for all my life. My faith journey started in the Charismatic movement and more recently have led me to the Anglican/Episcopal church. For years I thought faith and intellect should be kept separate but now I know that not to be true.

I blog regularly on the topic of Christianity and Artificial Intelligence at www.aitheology.com. I also write for superpositionmagazine.com. My interest lies on the intersection of technology and faith but it also expands to other related topics. How do we navigate the tectonic changes in technology and society? How do we remain faithful when many in our communities have gone astray? How do we grapple with the recent alignments between evangelicals and nationalistic politics? How do we do apologetics in a world that is weary of philosophical arguments?

I join the community looking for conversation partners. I am here both to contribute and to humbly listen.

(Andrew Bulin) #2

Welcome! I’ll have to check out your work as these are growing interests of mine (my background is in big data tech).

(Elias Kruger) #3

Sure, feel free to do so. I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

(S Joshua Swamidass) #4

Welcome! I’m new here too, and do work in data science too.

(Elias Kruger) #5

That’s great to hear. I am in the industry doing Data Science for a large bank. Look forward to having fruitful dialogue in the future.

(LaTricia January) #6

Welcome to Connect both @Elias_Kruger and @swamidass. I hope you both find our corner of the virtual world informative and the discussions lively and purposeful.

(Keldon Scott) #7

Welcome aboard @Elias_Kruger. I love how you described your passion. I was able to read one of your more recent posts on narratives. I enjoyed it. You wrote:

_The first step on this journey for opening dialogue is taking a step back from narratives. By simply recognizing that narrative is not reality, we can, even if temporarily, break ourselves from their hypnotic spell. The task is not to abandon narrative but evaluate its place, assumptions and implications. Once that is done, we must then calibrate our narratives to open room for humility and listening.

Then you asked 3 questions. I’m interested in your response to #2. Q2. How can narratives help rather than hamper dialogue?

We are really glad that you are here. I look forward to reading your posts

(Elias Kruger) #8

Thank you, Latricia. Looking forward to interacting with the community.

(Elias Kruger) #9

Hi Keldon,
I only ask questions, I don’t answer them :slight_smile:. Now, in all seriousness, I believe there are many ways in which narratives can help dialogue. It has less to do with what it says but how it is said. Even as truth is proclaimed, it can be done from a place of humility and with a willingness to listen. Above all, narratives must be transmitted in the spirit of loving and restoring the neighbor. Of course, this becomes rather difficult to do in 144 characters. It must be embodied not only in words but also in action.

I believe the gospel is an example of such narrative. Even as it makes universal and non-negotiable claims, it arrives to us through a compelling and invitational story. It is about gaining power by giving it away. By doing so, it invites other to examine its claims and draw conclusions from it without coercion.

(Neil Weaver) #10

Glad you have joined RZIM connect Elias. I’ll be sure to check out your blog. I am a technologist and data “geek” at heart. It seems many of us data folks are looking for truth in data and in life. I agree with you faith and intellect are entwined in necessary relationship. I believe separation of faith and intellect separates us from God. He gave us, and wants us to use both.

Hope to see you out on the forums and in the electives!