Introduction: Harshit Silas

(Harshit Singh) #1

Hi everyone

I was born in Unnao, a town in UP, India. Both my parents were nominal Christians, and around the time I was two years old, they separated from each other because of problems in their relationship. So, my childhood was not like most other children. And because of this, I was very sad from inside and life was very confusing. I did not know what I was going to do or what I should do.

I lived with my mother in my grandparents’ house. I wanted to run away from my house because of quarrels in the family. Once I even ran away from home and went to Delhi, but thankfully I returned. My life was so discouraging and I always thought that no one understands and cares about me and my feelings. Even though I used to attend a church since childhood because of my mother, I was far away from God. My life was so sinful internally, but I tried to become good externally. My thoughts, actions everything was sinful, and I even used to steal money.

My primary education was done in Unnao city. I was so interested in Science and Mathematics and I always wanted to become an Astro-Physicist or a Scientist. This is why I did my High School and Intermediate with Science and Maths. I did my Graduation from Kanpur University with Maths and Physics then Masters with Physics.

In 2011, when I was studying in High School, I heard about the summer youth camp at Zion Church, Lucknow. I decided to participate in the camp so that I could have a good time in Lucknow. During that camp, I learnt about the Gospel. I learnt that it is based on Jesus Christ and that Salvation is not by our works but by faith alone. Towards the end of the camp, Pastor Rolly Singh was teaching about faith, and after the class, I was sitting alone in the hall and thinking about my life. I was asking myself, “ Am I really a Christian?” Even though I used to tell people that I was a Christian, I was not a Christian because I was living my life accordingly to myself and I was very far from God. I realized that I was a big sinner and that Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins. I was crying at that time and I asked His forgiveness from my sin and I said, “ O Jesus, I am a sinful man. Please forgive me. Free me from my sins and come in my life.” I decided on that day that life is not my own and I surrendered my life to Christ. I took a notebook and I wrote down “ I, Harshit Singh, from today - 30 May 2011 - am submitting my life to Jesus and I will not live for myself anymore Christ is my all in all.”

In 2013, when I started my graduate studies, I joined a group called U.E.S.I. My friends and I started a youth Bible study at the Unnao Church and I was passionately involved with youths. I used to encourage others to join the Bible Study. We decided we will start another Bible Study in a different place, and so we started one. I was involved in both the Bible studies for three years. I was a secretary there for two years, and it was my responsibility to invite new friends to the group. It was really good for me being the part of that ministry, encouraging and praying for each other.

After believing in Jesus, I began to understand the meaning of being a Christian and preparing myself for baptism. I had believed in Christ as my personal saviour and I needed to tell my church about this. So, I was baptised by immersion in front of the church and publicly testified on 15 December 2015 at Zion Church in Lucknow, UP India.

In 2015 I moved to the Zion Centre in Lucknow from Unnao. I wanted to do my further studies, to grow more spiritually, and to work at church because I always wanted to work in the church. I came to Lucknow to do ministry work but after some time I got distracted and started to look for some work outside the church. Then I was given the opportunity to work in the church, which I was happy to take. So I started work with Zion Church, teaching tuition classes to children who need help and doing building maintenance at the Centre. During this time, I have learnt the responsibility of a Christian in the local church. I learnt how to do love brothers whom I am living with, and to be humble And Sunday Service Review has been good for me to think about the church Biblically and to understand the sermons better.

In 2011, when I was in the camp where I became a believer, Pastor Rolly Singh was talking about how there were lots of engineers and doctors in India, but very few Biblical pastors. He was saying India is a highly populated country which has few pastors. He said maybe some of us would become doctors, some engineers or some pastor. When he said this, I was thinking about myself that God wants me to do ministry with a Church may be He wants to call me as a pastor. Because of this, I started to prepare myself for that particular work.

During my time at the church campus, Pastor Hezekiah Harshit Singh asked me many times what I wanted to do. I used to keep silent because I was so confused about what I should do, I prayed for myself that what do you want me to do. Through this entire period, I have been mindful not to be presumptuous nor to make light of this higher calling that has been pressing me. I have also been praying daily (and will continue to do so) for God to humble me, that I may consider and check myself for any wrong intentions, as well as for His will to be done in my life

Thus I am convinced that God’s plan for me is to dedicate myself to His service, and I believe that I will have no peace until I submit to His will and call. I am ready and mindful to take heed to the Lord’s words in Luke 14:27-28: “ Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?” And in Luke 9:62, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ forewarns that “ No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”

My desire for the future is to prepare myself for being as a pastor of a church. If God wills, I want to start my ministry in Unnao (my birthplace) , or in another place in UP, where I can teach Bible, spread the Gospel and make disciples.

(SeanO) #2

@Hsmith1947 Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is amazing to hear your heart was transformed when you encountered the Gospel for the first time and examined your own mind in light of it. May the Lord Jesus grant you wisdom, guidance and strength to rejoice in each day as you seek to do His will. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #3

@Hsmith1947, Thank you so much for sharing your journey to Christ and His ministry! The questions that people ask and the means God uses to reach out to people varies from one culture to another. Posting your unique experiences and questions on Connect will be a means of growth to many. May Connect be a source of spiritual growth and help you in your outreach efforts.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #4

Thank you for sharing your testimony @Hsmith1947. This will help encourage others who read here in Connect. I really like what you shared about your experience in a summer youth camp. I hope to learn with you in this community, and I hope that we could help you in your calling as a pastor as we sharpen each other as we talk about the faith. Welcome to Connect! :slight_smile:

(Keldon Scott) #5

Welcome aboard. Your story was inspiring and a blessing this morning. I pray that the Lord will bless you in your decision. I hope that this site will provide a source of encouragement as well as substance as you engage your call.

(Ashish Paul) #6

Hi Harshit,
It was great to read your story. I am always amazed by listening how people are born again when they find their true calling in Christ.
God bless you in Jesus name Amen.

(Harshit Singh) #7

Thank you so much for all of You Brothers and Sister in the Lord Jesus Christ for reading my testimony also thanks for supporting me with your prayers.
Please encourage each other from the Word of God.

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.