Introduction: Jean Slabbert

member_introductions

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #1

Hi everyone,

My name is Jean Slabbert. I am 36 years old, happily married to my beautiful wife Suzy, expecting our first child in February 2019 and live in Pretoria, South Africa.

I was brought up in a Christian home, but really only had a personal relationship with the Lord since I was 18. I fell ill in December 2015 with a rare autoimmune condition called Neuromeyelitis Optica (NMO), or Devic’s disease, where your immune system attacks your optic nerves and spinal column. On 30 March 2015, I was rendered completely blind and paralyzed with no medical certainty of ever walking again. Please see the link to my testimony (https://youtu.be/xA6m3MB5JdI), shared on television recently, and feel free to share as you feel led to do with whomever could benefit from the testimony to God’s glory.

Long story short, I got out of the wheelchair for the last time on 28 April 2015 and have never looked back. As of earlier this month, 5 August 2018, I have been in remission from the NMO attacks for 22 months and it was more than three years since the day that my neurologist told me that I would probably never read or walk again.

Since then, the Lord has used my testimony in astounding ways and Suzy and I have been blessed with various opportunities to share the testimony and God’s saving love and healing power. This has also led to me receiving a number of difficult questions from a number of people with varying world views. I read 1 Peter 3:15 one day and started, without knowing of the existence of Apologetics, writing up how I would answer the questions received in order to never be caught off guard again. I then stumbled upon Ravi on Youtube and the rest is history as they say…

I am very excited about the opportunity to learn and grow more in my ability to lovingly answer the questions that people out there have. Thank you for the opportunity.

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi Jean,

I am really encouraged by the miracle that God has worked in your life. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I pray we will be encouraged by your contributions to RZIM Connect and that we will be an encouragement and a resource to you as you share the hope of Christ in the lovely country of South Africa.

Also, I want to make sure that @Mahlatse_Mashua has the opportunity to hear your story.

(SeanO) #3

@Jean Congrats on the little one! May the Lord bless your family and watch over you all as you grow in the knowledge of His love. You story is inspiring and I am so thankful that you are encouraging others to draw closer to Christ through it. Look forward to seeing you out on the forums.

(Warner Joseph Miller) #4

Wow!!! What a testimony! What a testament of God’s goodness and faithfulness. Glad to have you here on Connect, @Jean. I’m looking forward to hearing more of your story and insight your experiences have given especially as they apply to giving answers to various questions within the group. Welcome, brother!

(Kim O.) #5

Wow! I’m so inspired! Praise God.

So glad your here:)

Kim

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #6

Thank you all for your kind words and blessings. I feel fortunate to have access to such an incredible platform and individuals such as yourselves! All glory to God!