Introduction: Jennifer Wilkinson

member_introductions

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #1

Greetings from Wisconsin! I am a violin and piano teacher. I was blessed to be born into a Christian family. In fact, my mom was saved soon before I was born so she was on fire for the Lord and committed to raising my sisters and me to love God.

I became interested in apologetics while studying music at a secular university. That was many years ago, but music and apologetics continue to be passions of my heart. RZIM has helped me worship God better as I’ve grown to see the differences in religions and the unique way in which Christ answers the longings of our hearts.

I love children’s ministry, and I’d like to develop apologetics material for parents and Sunday school teachers to use as they raise the next generation. However, I’m sensing God may also want me to expand in other areas. My wise mom told me recently that children’s ministry is my safe zone–I shouldn’t stay there all the time.

I thank God for this community. I know He will use you to sharpen me and help me grow closer to Him.

(SeanO) #2

@Jennifer_Wilkinson Welcome to Connect! Praise God for your desire to help kids to learn how God’s truth answers the deepest longing of their hearts - may Christ bless you with wisdom and opportunity. Look forward to hearing from you out on the forums.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #3

Hello @Jennifer_Wilkinson. I’m happy to hear that the Lord used RZIM to help you worship Him better. Just got curious what’s your favorite violin and piano piece? I play the piano as well, but I’m not that good. Looking forward to learn with you in the discussions. Welcome to Connect! :slight_smile:

(Ethan Thomas) #4

Welcome Jennifer! Glad to have you here, and I look forward to getting to know you better!

(Melvin Greene) #5

Hi @Jennifer_Wilkinson. Welcome to Connect. I had great Christian parents, too. They are truly an amazing blessing. I thank God for mine all the time. Although, I have to admit that I rebelled in my teen years and didn’t come to Christ until my late twenties. It’s great to meet you, and I hope you’re as blessed as I am to be a part of this community.

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi @Jennifer_Wilkinson, welcome to Connect!

I think there is a beautiful connection between music and life - and apologetics. I am also grateful to hear of your heart for children. There does seem to be a shortage of excellent apologetic materials for the next generation. May God give you wisdom as you pursue his heart for your life! I would love for Connect to be a place where we grow together in serving others - that we would sharpen you, and you would sharpen us.

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #7

Thank you, everyone, for your warm welcome to the forum. I’m enjoying the fellowship and encouragement I’ve already found here.

@omnarchy, naming a favorite violin and piano piece might be impossible. For violin I’d have to say Bach’s Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin. On piano I really can’t choose. Concerning your comment that you’re not that good at piano, don’t sell yourself short. We all feel “not that good” when we compare ourselves to others who are better. God has been reminding me lately that I can’t keep telling myself I’m not gifted in music just because I know people with more talent than I have. He gave me a gift, and I need to use it for Him. Keep using your piano to worship God – it’s His gift to you.

(Phil S Kvasnica) #8

Jennifer, maybe you can use your teaching ability for the apologetics, and accompany it with music, kind of like Ken Medema does, even though he isn’t an apologist, just a phenomenal blind Christian musician. Here at our university, (K-State), there is a lady, whose husband is the director of the university performing arts center, and she uses music and words to help kids with autism “get out of their shell.” If she can do that with music, I’m sure you can figure out some way, with your thinking mind and the Holy Spirit, to benefit people as only you can with your passions and talents. Like they say, music is a language which everyone can understand and enjoy. I myself play the piano, and I used to play for church, but that has been replaced with somewhat of a discernment of “quality” praise and worship music, as I have been to so many different churches, with so many kinds of music, some of which are quite generic.

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #9

@pskvasni, I’m not familiar with Ken Medema. I’ll have to listen to some of his music. It’s too bad your piano playing in church is limited by the style of music. I feel very blessed that the church I started attending a year ago is now adding in more hymns so that my sisters and I can use our music in the worship service. (I never learned how to play praise band style.) Our pastor has a wonderful heart for finding ways for everyone to use their gifts.