Introduction: John Mc

(John Mccarthy) #1

Hi everyone

I’m excited to connect.
HE saved an Irish wretch like me in 2006. Praise God

I’m an evangelist, Pastor and Surf School owner in sunny west Ireland with 3 beautiful kids and a prov31 wife​:raised_hands::grinning:. I’m 43.

I’m interested in apologetics and presently reading Ravi/ Vince book, “Jesus Among Seculars Gods”. I have a background in computers science - pre surf school - but My brain seems to struggle with Philosophy. I hope this is normal​:+1::sweat_smile:

I’m very blessed by all your resources of Ravi lectures online. Thank you so much.

We’ve been using 1min social media videos and interviews over the past 3 years as a way of compassionately sharing Good News in Catholic Ireland. CliffsOfHope.com

I’m praying about relationally sharing some apologetics in videos in 2019+ and preparing to be ready to answer the difficult issues of our day. I think I will need to study for this. I have been going thru the RZIM foundations in apologetics free YouTube videos which have been great.

Thanks again​:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

(Helen Tan) #2

Hi John, a warm welcome to Connect! I think you’ve come to the right place to equip yourself with answers in the area of Apologetics. There are lots of knowledgeable and experienced people here who can direct us to good answers and resources. Perhaps you could share with us a few topics that you are preparing for so some direction/suggestions can be offered to assist you. My brain struggles with Philosophy too but there are very kind and smart people here who make the content accessible to everyone at different levels :)) Looking forward to hearing more from you.

(Randall Banfield) #3

Welcome may Jesus reveal His love and wisdom to you. God bless you

(Nick DeMarco) #4

Hi John!

Interesting and exciting to hear that you are motivated to discuss the Gospel with Catholics. I grew up in a Roman Catholic household and attended Catholic school for 8 yrs. I had a decent experience. Although I was never led to search Scripture, I was taught basic biblical principles. My Catholic upbringing did not turn me away from God. It made me wonder. There were a few things that I did not understand. It just left me asking questions. 1) Why is the Bible the Truth? 2) Is Jesus really God? 3) Why is the Catholic Church the “true” church? When I started being taught the Truth about salvation through faith in Christ, it ticked me off at first. I thought that salvation ONLY through Christ was not fair. Ephesians 2:8-10 and Hebrews 10 were big eye-openers for me!

I’m also interested in philosophy, and just like you - it makes my head hurt.

Cheers!
Nick from across the pond in New Jersey

(John Mccarthy) #5

Thanks For your replies all.

Nick thanks for your input.

If you are on Facebook I’m ‘john mccarthy surfs’.

Or cliffs of hope.

Great Grace

Ps: I’m going to ask Heather this Q.

I’m considering doing RZIM foundations of apologetics. Did u do a course or u just generally study. I think the foundation course is 26 YouTube videos, I’ve watched 7 ish on YouTube (free). I’m wondering is the text of the lecture included on the paid course. Typing their text is hard work.

Thanks so much. John In ireland.

(Brian Weeks) #6

Hi John, and welcome to RZIM Connect! It’s good to see you here. I’m encouraged that you’ve already enjoyed part of our Foundations of Apologetics curriculum and I wanted to give you the good news that we have a new and improved curriculum in our online school at the RZIM Academy!

I also wanted to let you know that right now until 15 January, the Academy is offering a rare 25% off discount on any of our courses in 2019! Just use the code 2019NEWYEAR25.

You can learn more about the courses we offer and our 2019 schedule here: http://rzimacademy.org/courses/core-module/

If this might be something you’re interested in, and you have any questions about our courses, or if there’s anything else I can help with, just let me know and I’ll be delighted to help however I can. And again, welcome, John!

(Kathleen) #7

Welcome, @JohnMccarthy! We’re so glad you’ve joined us here on Connect. A couple of things…

1. surf school in Ireland? I am intrigued and want to come visit! But, truthfully, it sounds cold. I’m assuming wet suits come standard? :wink:
  2. Like yourself and others above, philosophy makes my head hurt too! Well, that is, until I got used to how philosophers speak and write. Now I like it a bit better. But I have to always ground their argument in real-world consequences first and work backward to how they got there. If I can’t see how it plays out in real life, I’m out. Ha!

May the Lord bless your unique ministry, and may this community be an encouragement and strengthener for you. :slight_smile:

(John Mccarthy) #8

Hi Brian

Thanks so much for your reply.

Good news re discount and new content.

I will need to pray re timing of the course, as we have a new baby:)

I have enjoyed the lectures but love to take notes.

My question is:

Is there access to the videos when course is finished?

Ideally text/notes for the lectures would be available.

As Retyping quotes from the lectures can take some time.

Thanks so much for your help

God willing I will try take the Jan 10 th course.

In Christ🙌

John

www.CliffsOfHope.com

(Brian Weeks) #9

John,

First, congratulations on your new baby! Is it your first? Is it a boy or girl? We had our first and only two and a half years ago and I can relate to the joy. I’m happy for you, that’s wonderful.

Yes! For those who complete the course they enroll in, we do offer ongoing, unlimited access to all of the lectures from that course over in the Alumni section here on Connect.

And each lecture is accompanied by a robust set of notes that are already typed out for you so, if you’d like, you can print them out ahead of time and follow along with the lecture. Or, you can print them out for later reference, or simply download the notes to keep on your computer.

I also wanted to let you know that this discount code, even though it expires relatively soon, can be used on any course we offer in 2019. So, if the January Core Module doesn’t work out, as long as you enroll before 15 January, you can enroll in any of the other Core Modules we offer for this year for 25% off of the tuition.

Does this help answer your questions? What else can I help with?

Thanks for your questions, John, and I hope to see you in a class sometime soon!

Brian

(John Mccarthy) #10

Hi Brian

Yes that is awesome

That makes a big difference time wise, re notes.

Nathaniel is our 3rd. The others are 6 & 5 years​:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Congrats on your first. We are blessed.

Perhaps I will enroll now for a later course.

I am studying ‘Jesus among secular gods’, it’s taking time to get thru that.

God bless bro:)

Psalm4:3