Introduction: Josiah Schmeling

(Josiah) #1

Hi everyone,

I just finished the Core module and figured I would connect with all of you!!

My name is Josiah. I am 32 years old. I am a father of 3 girls and 1 boy. My wife was a Mexican national and is now a Unites States Citizen. We met on the mission field of Acuna Mexico and currently live in Missouri. It is truly by the mercy of God that I have been given the privilege to carry the beautiful name of Jesus while remaining on this earth.

I was a very heavy drug addict and drinker as a youth and gave myself to all kinds of debauchery, all before 18 years of age. But one day I called upon the Lord and asked for a life changing experience and said "If You love me as much as everyone says You do, and if you are who you say you are, I have to know You! I was saved in jail a few months later in which I was truly changed into a new creature over night. A divine reality of Ezekiel 36:24-27 and 2 Corinthians 5:17!!

It was in that cell that I came to know and fall desperately in love with Jesus as my Saviour and Lord! I owe Him my every breath and second of every day, and now, as Paul said, “Woe is unto me if I preach not the gospel”. It has now been 14 years since my conversion and I have gotten and continue to get many and daily opportunities to take the gospel to anybody that will listen! I minister more in the streets, work and in the jail than anywhere else, though I have and do preach in churches.

Thank you and blessings to you!

(Amanda Robbins) #2

I had to look up the Ezekiel reference, but that is a good passage to have on hand, thank you!

(Josiah) #3

Yes! That Ezekiel scripture (among many others) is an old testament view of the new birth reality! New heart, new spirit, finally His Spirit put within!! Amazing truth layed out!! So much to be said…

New heart - We must have a new heart, as the heart is how we communicate our affections and desires and “feelings” for the “object at hand”! Prior to being born again, our hearts were affectionate and desirous towards the world and the things thereof…But now!! Now being born again, our affections have turned! Our love has turned! Our desires have turned to…Christ and all that pertains to Him and His glory!!

A new spirit - We must have a new spirit! Prior to having a new spirit, we could not truly worship God…For Jesus said “God is a spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth! (John 4:24) - Likewise God’s communicating to us via the Word is restricted because Paul said “The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness to him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritaully discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14) - without a new spirit, we are but natural…

His Spirit put within us - My my!!! What else needs to be said?? He said, “And I will put my spirit within you, AND CAUSE YOU TO WALK IN MY STATUTES, AND YE SHALL KEEP MY JUDGEMENTS, AND DO THEM!! It is through His spirit that we are enabled to do His will for Paul said “It is God which worketh IN YOU both to will and to do His of His good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:13) our greatest command is to “Love”!! It is through His spirit being put within us that we are enabled to “Love our enemies (Matthew 5:44) - “Love one another, AS HE HAS LOVED US” (John 13:34 and 1 John 3:11), etc. I say this because Paul said “the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.” Romans 5:5.

Bless you!!

(Ogah) #4

Bless you brother, may the Lord keep and strengthen you

(Kathleen) #5

Preach, brother! :slight_smile: It was so encouraging to read just now a bit about how you came to the Lord. What an amazing God we have! We’re glad you’ve joined us here on Connect, @jymyn86!