Introduction: Lisa

member_introductions

(Lisa Copeland) #1

Hi everyone! My name is Lisa and I live in Alabama with my husband, Tim. We were both called out of the Air Force to serve in the church that my husband grew up in. It has been an interesting time for both of us as we learn what that is supposed to look like. Currently I work for the city, but will be returning to full-time student status in the next couple of months, hopefully as an online student with Lee University. I am thankful to be able to access all of the material we’ve encountered in past classes, and excited to see what else RZIMConnect has to offer :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Lisa

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi @Mrs_Copeland!

Welcome to Connect! I’m so glad you’ve joined! I’m curious to know - where you live, what are you find encouraging or frustrating about engaging in spiritual conversations with neighbors?

(Megan Kemp) #3

Hi Lisa! It’s nice to have you here. What are you going to study when you go back to school in the next couple of months?

(Lisa Copeland) #4

Hi @CarsonWeitnauer,
What I find encouraging is that most people are quick to identify with Jesus and say that they are Christians; however, (and this is what’s frustrating) the conversations usually end there. It seems few and far between that anyone wants to actually talk about Jesus or the Bible or anything else related to those topics.

(Lisa Copeland) #5

Hi @Megan_Kemp,
I’m not entirely sure what I want to study. My degree plan right now is Religion through American military University. I’ve only recently decided I’d like to switch over to Lee, but that’s about as far as I’ve been with the idea :wink:

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi @Mrs_Copeland, that’s interesting!

I wonder if you have found a pattern to their resistance to go beyond saying, “Oh, yea, I believe in Jesus” or “Yea, I’m a Christian”?

(Lisa Copeland) #7

Hi @CarsonWeitnauer, Great question.
I think a lot of them would be unable to have any discussion that goes beyond that simply because they haven’t been taught that there is more to the conversation. People (in part) here are content to slap a Jesus fish on their bumper, and wear “Christian” shirt. I’ve had a few of my husband’s relatives joke with me that their church basically said it was ok to live how they want the rest of the week as long as they’re in church on Sunday morning. I had a co-worker tell me that her pastor uses cuss words while preaching, and then defends his word choice by mocking those who might be offended at his cuss words (and she was telling me how she thought it was ok).
So, yeah. I guess the pattern I’ve seen is that people just don’t seem to actually know what the Bible says about being a Christian. And most seem to be ok with that.

(Valerie Schuetze) #8

So, Lisa and others, how does one address this type of cultural Christianity that shows such a lack of understanding? Any thoughts or ideas?

(Lisa Copeland) #9

I’ll be honest, I don’t know. Short of Holy Spirit inspired conversations with people, I’m at a loss for even how to generate interest in the things of God. I would love to hear what others have to say though.

(Andrew Bulin) #10

Hey @Mrs_Copeland. This secularliaztion of Christians is a bitter thing when we are clearly called to be holy. I’ve found that the further I follow the Lord, the lonelier the journey may be. I’m also very fortunate to have been blessed with a wife who is also hungry for the things of God and will share in discussion and even challenge my own walk.

The most striking and encouraging advice I’ve been given in my ministry from a wise old evangelist was to simply focus on bringing an individual’s heart closer to God’s through my witness and the truth in His word. Continue to study His word and pray that He will show me those people whose hearts He is targeting. Pray without ceasing for those who will not go further with Him. Then boldly and lovingly live out His truth and capture the opportunities with those He puts in my path to take closer to Him.

I personally feel encouraged by your heart for those who do not enjoy the freedom and truth in Christ and pray for your ministry!

(Lisa Copeland) #11

Hi @andrew.bulin. Thanks for your response. I also have a spouse that is passionate for the things of God, and that is such a blessing.

I think the advice you received is good advice. Definitely a purposeful and personal relationship with Jesus has to be first before we can reach others. And with that we will be able to, as you said, capture those opportunities He puts in our paths.

Thank you for your prayers. :slight_smile: