Introduction: My name is Bob (Robert)

(Robert Ashbaugh) #1

Hi everyone, I am an engineer working in the Bay Area of California who loves God and has been a believer for more than 50 years. It has been an interesting spiritual journey and I have written a small book about what I have learned, but it has not been published yet. My present concern is finding a Christian literary agent who will “give me a break” and help me find a good editor and publisher. I have just realized that I have become a Christian apologist who wants to defend God and His (Their) Word against all the forces of ignorance and unbelief that would oppose the Ones Who have created all of this - the universe, this solar system with this beautiful earth and all of its carbon based life forms including human beings made in the spiritual image of this (these) Creator(s)!!

(SeanO) #2

@ashbaugh7 Welcome to Connect! So glad you’ve joined us - I am an engineer as well. I was wondering while reading your thoughts, why did you make Creator both singular and plural?

(Robert Ashbaugh) #3

SeanO You asked why I would make Creator both singular and plural. God is most often spoken of in the singular but Gen 1:26 introduces the concept of us (Us) as our Creator(s). The Bible eventually introduces us to a Team of Three God Beings and I have come to believe that They are Each and All worthy of being worshiped and considered God and Creators even though Jesus was the One Who most directly was the Word/Spokesman who spoke all of this material creation into existence. See Heb 1:2.

(SeanO) #4

@ashbaugh7 Thanks so much for answering. Yes, the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit are each worthy of worship, yet the are also one God. One in Being, three in Person. Throughout Church history, it has been recognized that the Trinity implies that God is three in Person and one in Being. So, in that sense, there is only one God. In the Bible, it only ever talks about the Creator singular even though the Son played a unique role in that process.

You may find some of the following threads helpful in this regard.

(LaTricia J.) #5

Welcome to Connect @ashbaugh7!

I’m an advocate of self-publishing, and Amazon makes that very easy to do. Even finding someone to proof, format, and edit your work is pretty much a breeze. There are people who offer virtual assistant services and you can negotiate cost. Amazon publishing is really the easiest way to go for self publishing and you can even have an opportunity to advertise through them as well. I recently assisted someone with all of this and I was rather impressed.

I think it’s your time, Robert. :slight_smile:

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi @ashbaugh7,

As a follow-up, do you believe in one God existing in three persons? You may find this episode of Ask Away helpful in thinking through what it means to say that God is a Trinity:

(Robert Ashbaugh) #7

@SeanO and other interested parties. You stated that Trinity implies that God is three in Person(s) and one in Being. Alternatively, I would like to submit that Trinity implies that God is three in Being(3 spirit beings) and one in Personality (Character). They are unified in operating (thinking, speaking, doing) in Godly personality (character) attributes such as love, holiness, righteousness, faithfulness, etc. I would like to think both approaches to the concept of God as a Trinity have value.

(LaTricia J.) #8

@ashbaugh, wouldn’t that make God not a singular unit if, and thus not God, but three gods alike in in character as you said. And if there are three gods alike in character, then what unifies them? And if there is something that unifies them, wouldn’t that something be over them as in greater than them? And if there is something that is greater than them as singular units would that be considered ‘god’ or a ‘force’?

I ask my questions in all seriousness in an effort to understand your view of God. Thank you in advance!

(SeanO) #9

@ashbaugh7 I think that what you are suggesting sounds like tritheism - a classic Trinitarian heresy. I believe the Scriptures are clear that God is one in Being, whatever else we may say.

Think about it this way - you could have three people - Joe, Bob and Bill - who were all equally righteous, loving and faithful. But you would never say that they were ‘one’. They are clearly three. Having similar character attributes is not the same thing as being one. And yet the Bible is abundantly clear that God is one - that is even in the Shema which the Jews recited day and night.

Exodus 3:14 - God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

Deut 6:4 - Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

• “You are My witnesses,” declares the Lord, “And My servant whom I have chosen, In order that you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me,” (Isaiah 43:10).
  • “Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me," (Isaiah 44:6).
  • ‘Do not tremble and do not be afraid; Have I not long since announced it to you and declared it? And you are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me, Or is there any other Rock? I know of none,’” (Isaiah 44:8).

https://carm.org/tritheism

To answer this question, we need to look over the biblical data. The Bible clearly affirms that there is but one God (Isaiah 43:10; 1 Corinthians 8:4). In addition, the Bible teaches the deity of the Father (John 6:27; Romans 1:7; 1 Peter 1:2), the Son (John 1:1-3; Hebrews 1:2; Titus 2:13; Colossians 1:16-17), and the Holy Spirit (Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 3:16). Moreover, the biblical writers go out of their way to affirm that all three Persons are distinct from each other (Matthew 28:19; Romans 15:30; 2 Corinthians 13:14).

(Robert Ashbaugh) #10

@LaTricia_January and other interested parties. 1 John 4:8&16 states that God is love. I understand love (which is a verb or “action word”) to be a description of how one acts toward another (object). If you can define love, in some way you have defined God. Real love will be THE character trait that defines and unifies the three Persons/Beings of God. Love is not over or greater that Them, it IS Who They are. My present attempt at a definition of love is as follows: Voluntary outgoing concern for the ultimate benefit of the object of one’s love including a willingness to forgive one who repents and asks for forgiveness.