Introduction: My Name Is Leslie

(Leslie Eyton) #1

Hi everyone, I am so honored to be able to be a part of this Connect community. My husband, Steve, and I have been blessed with Ravi’s teachings for almost 20 years now via radio, podcasts and books. I am so thankful for this forum and am anxious to share some questions I have about what seems to be a growing trend in the self-employment world. Looking forward to thoughtful, and Biblical, dialogue!

(Kathleen) #2

Welcome, @Leslie_Eyton! We’re glad you’ve joined us here on Connect. We pray that this community will encourage and strengthen you on your journey of faith in our Saviour! :slight_smile:

(Warner Joseph Miller) #3

Thankful for you being here, @Leslie_Eyton! Welcome to Connect. We’re looking forward to to hearing those questions you have as well as hearing your unique insights. God bless you, sister. Thank you for being a part of this RZIM Connect community.

(Tabitha Gallman) #4

Hi @Leslie_Eyton, my name is Tabitha and I have been part of this community for a few months and I have enjoyed talking to so many different people about many different things, and I love Ravi’s teachings. Welcome!

Are you self-employed?

I can see a growing trend of self-employment in the world today. I worked off and on for about 10 years as a self-taught web designer/graphics artist and loved it until my husband pointed out that it was more of a glorified hobby instead of a good paying gig, so I had to look for work with a well established company that could afford to pay its employees :slightly_smiling_face::disappointed:. ( I kept giving too much work away because mostly the clients I worked with were non-profits or self-employed themselves.)

I would venture to say that during Biblical times and definitely before the industrial revolution, most of the world was self-employed and definitely more self-sustaining. Today there are many good reasons to be self-employed. But on the other hand this reminds me of something I just read in one of Ravi’s books called: “Why Jesus”. Ravi wrote:

“I was pondering the other day how much in our lives has to do with boxes: We give gifts in boxes, we buy our food in boxes, we drive in boxes, we live in boxes, and we ultimately leave this world in a box.”

(Of course he went on to contrast these boundaries with the lack of boundaries that are in spirituality and reason. (p13 last paragraph) )

But I believe it’s easier to pull away and “box” ourselves in our homes sometimes causing us to drift apart as communities. But on the bright side, you can wear your p.j.'s to work if your work doesn’t involve meeting with clients :grinning:

Do you feel like this trend of being self-employed is a form of cocooning or is it mostly parents who want to spend more time with their family?