Introduction: My Name is Marcus

member_introductions

(Marcus Singleton) #1

Hi everyone. My name is Marcus and I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago. I have been a Follower/ Disciple of Christ since 2003 and I discovered RZIM Connect several weeks back while at work listening to my favorite podcast, Let My People Think.

I must admit, it is very intimidating to enter a space of discourse like this with graduates from institutions ranging from Oxford to Harvard but my prayer is that I will be welcomed with open arms and learn how to, as A.W. Tozer so eloquently wrote it in the Knowledge of the Holy, speak to the conditions of my listeners with the hope that my message will not only be timeless but timely. My desire is to speak to my own generation in a language they will not only hear but receive through the art of music.

I am looking forward to building and learning how to become a better evangelist/ apologist to a generation that seems to be moving further and further away from God. As a man of African descent, living in America engaged in conversations with other people from various racial backgrounds, who are drawn to various religions such as Orthodox Islam, The Nation of Islam, The Nation of the 5 Percent, and Kemetic orthodoxy (just to name a few), who have no regard for the existence of Christ and the word of God because they believe the book is not accurate or relevant for these days and times.

Thank you for allowing me to connect and I’m looking forward to the journey.

Shalom.

(SeanO) #2

Welcome @iomos_marad! I think there are plenty of us here who have not graduated from Harvard or Oxford - myself certainly included. But praise God that He uses the simple things to confound the wise and the weak to lead the strong (1 Cor 1:27)!

May the Lord bless your desire to reach others with your words mightily - that many may leave falsehoods and serve the true and living God!

Looking forward to learning together.

In Christ

(Jimmy Sellers) #3

Based on your intro you are at the right place and I believe that you find that connect is the most down to earth, rubber meets the road community on the web. This is a no intimidation zone. I am sure you will fit right in. Everyone here has a heart for Jesus and a burden to make him known. Welcome.

(Melvin Greene) #4

Hi @iomos_marad! I’m so glad you have joined us. There is no need to feel intimidated here. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ. We all have our unique life experiences and insights that we can share and learn from and I look forward to learning from you. I pray that you will feel welcomed and blessed.

(Carson Weitnauer) #5

Hi @iomos_marad,

We are really grateful to have you involved in Connect. I believe that your active involvement here would greatly strengthen our community and dialogue. I believe that the active practice of conversation in Connect is an excellent way to be prepared for healthy conversations on the same topics outside of Connect.

Welcome. :slight_smile:

Carson

(Keith Grant) #6

Welcome Marcus! I love hearing people’s testimonies of when they came to Christ! You’ve definitely come to the right place. I started off myself by listening and then engaging more and more with the online courses, etc. God has also placed in my heart to pray and share with Muslims so I’ve tried to learn as much as I can but I’ve learned that it starts with my heart first. I pray the this will be fruitful for you!

Keith

(Natasha Morton) #7

Welcome! I’ll say the same as everyone else - no need to be intimidated. I personally just love the idea of hearing so many other peoples ideas and perspectives, it really helps me to get a more faceted way of thinking and approaches. Reading your intro, I can tell you are going to be a blessing to our group and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

(Melissa Cortner ) #8

Dear Marcus,

Just a note to let you know how thankful I am to see you on the RZIM team. I taught in a majority African American school in St Louis MO for three years ( until marriage and relocation). Since then the Black community has been a major focus of my prayer time. Every time I see young men /women like you who love the lord with all his/her heart and what that means for the African Amercan community as a whole, I just have to rejoice in the Lord!

May God Richly bless you.

Melissa Cortner

(Katie Gitthens ) #9

Hi Marcus, thanks for sharing some of your heart with us - vulnerability can be such a strong conduit to bring people together. I can understand a little of how you may feel about joining a community with some pretty stellar credentials. That is one of the things I love about the Church, especially how Paul describes it in Ephesians: no dividing walls because we are all one loving, breathing new building with the Holy Spirit giving gifts to all to build up all into the whole measure of the fullness of Christ in love (Eph. 4). We all need to play our parts so that we all get there - so thanks for playing your part here and elsewhere, humbled to walk with you in the same journey and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on even the tough topics you listed!