Introduction: Nick Simons

member_introductions

(Nick Simons ) #1

Hello everyone. I am follower of Christ from northeast Georgia and live in a little town called Commerce. I was raised in church most of my life but after years of battling my conscience I finally admitted I was a fraud and gave my heart and life to the Lord at 27. Not long after I discovered the RZIM ministry and became drawn to apologetics. I am a chemist by training and vocation and I spend a lot of time with people who are skeptics or have different religions. Having the tools to engage in meaningful conversations with those I am around has been a Godsend and has only deepened my desire to reach out to others who have sincere questions. I have become involved heavily with the Atlanta chapter of the C.S. Lewis Institute as a fellow and have had the opportunity to meet a number of people in the Atlanta are who share the same passion. I look forward to connecting with similar people from around the globe. God Bless.

(Jean-Luc Petit) #2

Welcome Nick! I’m also new to the community and have been impacted by C.S. Lewis’ writings. The books of his that I’ve read include “The Great Divorce,” “Surprised by Joy,” and “The Screwtape Letters.” I’ve also read many of his essays in “Screwtape Proposes a Toast” and some in “Christian Reflections.” I worked in Atlanta in 1999 as a systems consultant for near one year.

(Maureen Barnes) #3

Welcome Nick :slight_smile:
I pray that your time spent in this community will strengthen and sharpen you, and that this community would be a blessing and an encouragement to you when you need it most.
God Bless you.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #4

Glad to have you with us @Nicksimons. Welcome to Connect. Hoping to learn more from your experiences. :slight_smile:

(Carson Weitnauer) #5

Hi @Nicksimons,

Welcome! I’m friends with Bill Smith, who runs the Atlanta CS Lewis Institute. You’re involved in a great program! We’d love to have all the Fellows join us in Connect. :slight_smile:

I am so grateful that your heart in learning apologetics is to have meaningful conversations with others. Please continue to share what you are learning with us here so that we might learn and grow with you. May God empower you to lead many into a relationship with Christ!

(rebecca thompson) #6

Hello, I’m new to the forum and very excited to find you. I have been a public artist working across the country for the past 15 years and currently I’m attending the University of Arizona for a PhD in Art and Visual Culture Education. I am a Christian, but my path was not direct and now that I am reading, teaching and tring to live my entire life through the lense of scripture, I hope to learn what the theories are in liberal academia and find ways to support a Christ centered worldview within education. I’m very concerned about Visual Culture and returned to school to learn how to combat the tyranny of visual indoctrination on multiple levels. The most disconcerting development is the humanoid, which is a walking, talking scupture of a human.
Because of my large scale work with sustainable materials, I am also exploring arts based research as it applies to eco-friendly stewardship of our planet. I see visual arts/culture as the center of a wheel that can connect many disciplines, but I am having a hard time with the correct words in my courses to counteract the postmodernist view. I need more iron sharpening!