Introduction: Steve Kell

(Steve Kell) #1

Hi Brothers and Sisters!

My Name is Steve Kell, I am from Ohio, I am a kind of organic Farmer, Christian Coach, Real Estate Agent. I have always looked up to Ravi Zacharias, have followed Nabeel Quireshi’s story, and am a subscriber to the YouTube channel. I think about God constantly, and maybe think more than I “do”(I want to be a doer). I am so persuaded by Jesus’s message. He caused me to evaluate my entire life. He asks me to live a life of integrity and thoughtfulness, to love God with my whole mind, body and strength-then to love my neighbor. All the things I mentioned “being” above are based on a singular focus to make my life one of love and appreciation for the gift I have of being born into such an amazing life, with a faith passed to me by generations of family.

My wife and I can feel lonely because very few people in our world can come to the same conclusions we do, but I still take solace in the fact that Jesus was alone in his committment. Jesus doesn’t promise us friends, and he demonstrates grace and compassion in the world that would have clearly been beneath his standards. What an example of humility, and the absence of pride. He was above it all and lowered himself. I am not Jesus, but my pride is greater than his, my misplaced self-righteousness also.

To be brief and conclude, lately I have been reading Romans over and over. Most recently I have dwelt on the verses Romans 6:6-13

6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin—7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness.

Whoa! I say. I want to be an instrument of righteousness for the sake of Christ, and I hope your communication and friendship will help push me along that route.

God bless you each for taking the time to read this,
Steve

(SeanO) #2

@skell Thank you so much for sharing your story. How did you become an organic Farmer? That is super interesting. There is a part of me that wishes for that kind of life - living on the land. Do you do it at your house or do you have land elsewhere?

It can be a hard journey when you choose to follow Jesus and stand out from the crowd. May Jesus provide you guys with godly couples who could walk alongside you on the journey to provide fellowship, council and joy. May He guard your hearts and minds as you walk the way of the cross and rejoice in suffering for the sake of our Master and King. One day when He reigns we’ll be with one big family forever - finally in the Father’s house.

Look forward to hearing more from you on the forms and praying that Jesus might bless you and your family with His love and peace.

(Steve Kell) #3

Thanks Sean, I watched a documentary called Food Inc. on PBS about nine years ago. There was a man named Joel Salatin in the film that threw my wife and I through a loop. He is a devout Christian though he does not do a lot of preaching. His preaching is in a true stewardship of the earth. It is too good of a message to be summarized, but he has a great book about the sacredness of God’s creation, the entire physical world, being an object lesson for spiritual truth. When we honor the least of these we have a better sense for honoring the greatest. “The Marvelous Pigness of Pigs” a stunning read, and “You Can Farm” may be some of the most encouraging provoking pages you could pick up.

We started small and we are still small. We have recently stopped feeding our chickens organic because it is expensive, and our customers didn’t really care (we are sort of terrible farmers because we don’t make much money-we probably lose it.)

We have two acres, which doesn’t support our livestock, ~80 chickens, 7 sheep, two stocked freezers of organic pork, organic chicken and grass-fed lamb. Most of that was done by a faithful connection where a distant relation allowed us to lease another 4 acres.

Long response but your reply was so thoughtful. I thank you again for the kind words!

(SeanO) #4

@skell Neat - it is amazing how little things like a documentary can inspire us to step out and try something new. And what a blessing you have family to provide some additional acreage! It must be good eating around your kitchen table :slight_smile: Maybe one day when I’m done with graduate studies I’ll get a little organic garden started.

Indeed - look forward to conversing more. Christ be with you.

(Kathleen) #5

Welcome to Connect, @skell! It’s been great to already see you interacting out on the forum. We hope that this community can be one that strengthens and encourages you on your walk with Christ…particularly if, like you mentioned, there are few around you connect with you on this level. May you be blessed in the endeavour to become more and more and instrument of righteousness! :slight_smile: