Introduction: Tara Clay

member_introductions

(Tara clay) #1

Hi everyone,
I am Tara Clay. I grew up in church. I am one who struggles with distrust towards the church as a whole. I do not feel that my distrust is toward God but with his people. I fall guilty to the -who can say that they love me when they do not love a Christian brother or sister. My goal here is to work through finding the true meaning of Christian fellowship, develop further understanding and the ability to build meaningful relationships. To be a light in the darkness, but I know that I am not strong enough without Christian support.

I am married with four kids. Much of my days do not have a lot of down time. I feel like we could be used in so many ways, if we are willing. When I look around, I see loneliness all around. Currently, I can’t be much help but I’d like to grow in the meantime.

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

@Tarieberry,
This will be a great place for you to ask questions and share thoughts. I think you will find that many of the members on Connect can identify with you. We all are truth seekers, Christ lovers and have the common goal of reaching others for Jesus. Welcome.

(Jamie Hobbs) #3

Welcome, Tara. Four kids, sounds like an awesome mission field. I have three of my own, all boys. It’s like a whirlwind in my house 24/7. I know you can relate to that. I hope you find Connect a valuable resource. Blessings.

(Kathleen) #4

Welcome, @Tarieberry! We’re glad you found your way here. As someone who works for a local church, I hate to hear that you’ve been hurt by one in the past. I can, unfortunately, identify! It’s very easy for me to become cynical about it all, too. With that in mind, we aim to be a community that is spurring one another on amidst the big questions and struggles of life with compassion and respect. I pray that will be your experience here! Do reach out on the forum with any questions or struggles. Look forward to ‘seeing’ you there. :slight_smile:

(Carson Weitnauer) #5

Hi @Tarieberry,

I appreciate your candor. The experience of hypocrisy is a discredit to the gospel.

My friend Andy Bannister spoke about it this way:

A few years ago, a colleague of mine was traveling in Pakistan. During the trip he met a Pakistani Christian pastor who had been arrested many times and horribly tortured for his faith. He rolled up his sleeves and showed my colleague the scars that he carried. As they talked, the pastor asked, through an interpreter: “What it is like for Christians in the West?” My colleague, slightly embarrassed, replied: “The greatest fear most Christians in the West have is embarrassment. They are afraid of looking foolish, so most do not talk about Jesus.” The pastor replied with tears in his eyes, through the interpreter: “Such a church is dying.” Then the interpreter paused and apologized: “I am sorry,” he said, “I interpreted that badly. What the pastor actually said was: ‘Such a church is already dead.’”

How different might our culture look if Christians were prepared to live out our lives as followers of Jesus Christ as if we really meant it? If we daily demonstrated our willingness to take a stand for Christ no matter what consequences might follow? Unlike Hans and Sophie Scholl, Kurt Huber, or that Pakistani pastor, we are not yet, at least in the West, likely to face imprisonment, torture or death. But what about being willing to sacrifice our reputation, our popularity, our chance of promotion, our easy, comfortable middle class existence? Or are we, if we are entirely honest with ourselves, more tempted to choose the path of personal benefit?

The only answer to moral relativism will only come not from better education strategies—which, at the end of his essay “Moments of Startling Clarity,” is all that Stephen Anderson had to offer. Rather, cultural transformation must begin with personal transformation and that will only happen when people really see what the gospel looks like when it is lived out. What our country, our culture, our world needs are Christians who are willing to display the character of their convictions, no matter what the cost.

I pray you will grow in your faith through participating in Connect - and that together, we will demonstrate an uncompromising faith in Jesus that inspires many to follow him.