Introduction: Tim Duvall

(Tim Duvall) #1

Hi everyone. Try to learn how to navigate this site. I’m work in Industrial Controls. Love the logic of it all. Need Prayers in making the mind Heart connection.

(SeanO) #2

@Tim_Duvall Welcome! May the Lord Jesus implant His Word in your heart and give you understanding by the indwelling of His Spirit. So glad you’ve joined us. See you on the forums.

(Tim Duvall) #3

Very direct person. My apologies. I lost my Wife a year ago to Cancer. I live within this cocoon of thought. I work in Industrial Controls, where things are very logical. It works or it doesn’t, figure it out. Fix it. The Holy Spirit is in my Heart but must be connected to the mind. In my life they are two cables so close to connection. At times I feel the sparks of connection.

(Andrew Barr) #4

Hi, Tim. Welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry to hear about your wife. My wife is a breast cancer survivor, going on 10 years now. At the same time, my mom succumbed to cancer, so I understand what you went through. My prayer for you is comfort and guidance from the Holy Spirit.

(Tim Duvall) #5

I’ve really opened my Heart to the Holy Spirit and Wow. He’s going against my Mind, if that makes sense. Struggling Christian here.

(Tim Duvall) #6

I had to fire a young man at work last week for poor attendance, He has a newly born Child. I had sat and talked to him before explained the importance of that responsibility. Weighs heavy on my heart.

(Olivia Davis) #7

Hi Tim! We’re glad that you’ve joined us. Thanks for telling us about yourself. I’m so sorry to hear about your wife – I can’t even begin to imagine…

I can relate the “two cables” idea – that’s such a great way to put it. It’s so good to hear that you have some sparks of connection sometimes!

I have also had trouble understanding how the heart and the mind work together. Something that has helped me is discovering that I can take all of my questions and doubts to Jesus – he’s not afraid of our doubts or questions, and if he’s real, he’ll help us realize the truth.

That said – please, share your questions on the forums. There are so many voices represented here that are wise and can speak to many different perspectives, and we’re here to help you and pray for you right where you are. Besides…you might be voicing a question that resonates with many people and will help them as well. Welcome, Tim! :slight_smile:

(SeanO) #8

@Tim_Duvall I’m an engineer, so I get the either it works or doesn’t perspective. I think for me what is great about Christianity is that it is not just a feeling or an inner spark, but a Truth that when lived out proves itself to be true. As we walk in obedience to God, seek Him in private prayer and trust Him, over time we see the fruit of that obedience.

Also, I really like the rationality of this point from C. S. Lewis - Christianity makes sense both of the world as it is and our desires / longings for another world:

I was taught at school, when I had done a sum, to “prove my answer”. The proof or verification of my Christian answer to the cosmic sum is this. When I accept Theology I may find difficulties, at this point or that, in harmonizing it with some particular truths which are imbedded in the mythical cosmology derived from science. But I can get in, or allow for, science as a whole. Granted that Reason is prior to matter and that the light of the primal Reason illuminates finite minds, I can understand how men should come by observation and inference, to know a lot about the universe they live in. If, on the other hand, I swallow the scientific cosmology as a whole, then not only can I not fit in Christianity, but I cannot even fit in science. If minds are wholly dependent on brains, and brains on bio-chemistry, and bio-chemistry (in the long run) on the meaningless flux of the atoms, I cannot understand how the thought of those minds should have any more significance than the sound of the wind in the trees. And this is to me the final test. This is how I distinguish dreaming and waking. When I am awake I can, in some degree, account for and study my dream. The dragon that pursued me last night can be fitted into my waking world. I know that there are such things as dreams: I know that I had eaten an indigestible dinner: I know that a man of my reading might be expected to dream of dragons. But while in the night mare I could not have fitted in my waking experience. The waking world is judged more real because it can thus contain the dreaming world: the dreaming world is judged less real because it cannot contain the waking one. For the same reason I am certain that in passing from the scientific point of view to the theological, I have passed from dream to waking. Christian theology can fit in science, art, morality, and the sub-Christian religions. The scientific point of view cannot fit in any of these things, not even science itself. I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else. C. S. Lewis

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” C. S. Lewis

(Billie Corbett) #9

:cry:
No doubt!
Pray for him. (Regularly and consistently)
Hopefully, God will do a work in his heart.

(Billie Corbett) #10

Beautiful and brilliant quotes of C.S.Lewis.
Thank you!

(Tim Duvall) #11

All that have responded have truly lifted my Spirits. I read Exodus and the piece of wood, that cleanses the Water. So that the People could drink. At Creation, God New that that tree would grow and that piece of wood would fall. God can do Miraculous things through any and all his creation.

(Keldon Scott) #12

Welcome aboard @Tim_Duvall. So glad that you have joined us. Thank you for your transparency. I pray that the Lord will Grant you peace and assurance. I pray that you will grab ahold of the truth that Sean was referencing and never let go. You have had some serious trials – may those truths be revealed to you and Christ’s presence in your life be manifest. Jesus said come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest. God-bless your journey and the time you spend here.

(Russell Andrews) #13

Tim -
Your message prompted me to log in which I have not done in months. I find it difficult to type my thoughts in a way that conveys what my mind, and recently, heart, is trying to share. Please forgive any confusion or distraction my response may create. Ideally, we could share a cup of coffee and talk. That said, I will share some of my journey and thoughts so that you may be encouraged.
You are certainly not alone. I, too, spend much time in the mind. Medical background, software design, analytical, but then again, why is that a surprise if we connect on RZIM? I love learning, teaching and sharing the wisdom the RZIM team shares with the world. It awakens places in me that come alive.
I, too, am a widower. Please remember there is hope and healing available.
Most people that get to know me, which I sometimes make difficult, will say my heart is good - my delivery needs some remediation and I am working on that - actually allowing Christ to work on that.
As a systems guy, I feel lost in church. What has helped is to remember that we have been given different gifts, head, heart and hands. I’ve recently discovered the impact of being the head in a largely heart led organization. It just seems like all the programs and initiatives are heart-led and I get left out. We were given the gift but it feels exclusionary.
So what’s a head guy to do? First, understand the gifting is from God. Understand that what we learn about God reflects who are in His image - and that He is all (and more) - head, heart and hands. As we grow in Him, our gifting will be useful and our personalties will grow. Our cultural obsession with measurement (who am I kidding, my obsession with measurement) can often exclude the mystery of God that we find in His creation. If you have read about fractals, you know what I’m trying to convey.
Second, associate with people that are moving in the heart. This may be a challenge, but pray and God will bring those people. We do exist - and we are growing in faith, hope and love. The deafening roar of silence you may be experiencing after the loss of your wife is a force that can move you deeper into relationship with Christ, if you will invite Him.
Third, in addition to RZIM there are several ministries that have been such a great help to me including Ransomed Heart and Abiding Life. The richness and fullness of Christ is evident in both.
Finally, as a systems guy, you may have read W. Edwards Deming. His book “The New Economics” was inspiring. Here is a taste: “We’re living in prison. Under the tyranny of the prevailing style of management. A style of interaction between people, between teams, between divisions, between competitors. We need to throw overboard our theories and practices of the present, and build afresh.” I wonder, is he talking about business or the world managed by the father of lies?
Edward Baker wrote a book (requested by Deming) called The Symphony of Profound Knowledge. A symphony speaks so much to me as music is so enriching to my soul. Again, we as believers are reflections of Christ - we are his instruments - each playing our part to fill the world with the fragrance of His love, peace and harmony. (If the mixed metaphor in that sentence, caused you to pause, we are truly brothers!)
Thanks so much for posting. I feel privileged to share a journey with you.
-Russ

(David Bruce Young) #14

Praying for your heart and mind connection, and your influence on the young people who work for you.

(Keldon Scott) #15

Welcome aboard @Tim_Duvall. So glad you have joined and glad that you understand the freedom that you have in a relationship with Christ. I trust that you will be able to come along others in a way that the Holy Spirit directs. Thank you for coming alongside us. I look forward to reading your posts. God-bless you and your journey.