Introduction to Jim Orcutt

Hi everyone, My name is Jim Orcutt. I just began the core module, and I am excited to learn from RZIM and all of you to better engage other world views. My teen years were difficult. I abused alcohol and pot, & spent a month in reform school. I went in the Marines at 17, and did a tour in Vietnam, A few months after discharge I invited Jesus into my life. Several months later I was 1 of 5 police recruits hired out of a pool of 477 applicants to a large suburban department even though I had been in that jail 3 times as a teenager. I was well suited for law enforcement and enjoyed my job. I was a firearms and defensive tactics instructor for many years. I was also a member of a four man team that won a master class, pistol, national championship. In addition I was also an emergency medical technician. I saw many people revive while I did CPR and prayed. Jesus is so gracious and has done so many wonderful things in my life including healing a totally severed tendon in my hand two years ago.

I now live in East Texas, USA with my wife, & ministry partner, Linda. We met in high school and reconnected eleven years ago after not seeing one another for 43 years. I had the honor of leading her to faith in Christ and we married several months later. We are now 70 years young, and very engaged in several ministries. My wife and I lead a prison ministry team at one of two prisons near us. Most of our services are prerecorded, but a few times a year we conduct live services. Team members open and close the services, and pray with the attendees after the service. Our services average more than 100 inmates weekly. We also host a prison bible study that averages about 40 inmates. We are currently studying “Grace Revolution” with an accompanying work book, by Joseph Prince. Among our attendees are a couple pastors, and several inmates working on ministry degrees. The men are really enjoying the study and we are seeing many being set free from condemnation, guilt and shame. The chaplain asked us if we could create a study on grieving behind bars. We put together a 102 page booklet that is in the approval process with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ). My wife teaches computer skills and bible study at a women’s ministry, I am mentoring at a men’s ministry, and we are about to launch a 12-step recovery program at a second, nearby prison We so enjoy the work God has led us into that we schedule fun times around our ministry events. Thank you for taking time to read my introduction. May God richly bless your journey with him!

6 Likes

Welcome @JimO, your introduction/testimony was inspiring, I enjoyed reading it. Wow, you guys are busy! Thank you for your heart in ministering to prisoners and all the ways you and your wife do :pray: I trust that, as you engage here, you will be a blessing to others. Take care and enjoy your time here in connect :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Jim, it is wonderful to meet you! It sounds like you are a man who has many good stories to share. What a full life you have led! Prison ministry always sounds like such an exciting work and I know that you and your wife are a huge blessing to those you minister to. We are so glad to have you part of the community here on Connect and look forward to your valuable insight from such a rich life of service! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you so much, Carrie! What a warm welcome! I read your bio. What a blessed life you are living. Praise God! I too come from a legalistic background. I stumbled onto Joseph Prince on YouTube. I bought and read several of his books. God used his message to set me free. We are now teaching "Grace Revolution to 40+ inmates with tremendous results. I hope you check him out.
May God richly bless you and your family! Jim✝️

1 Like

Your introduction Mr. Orcutt is one of purpose and passion driven. Not so many would be so engaging and immersive with other people’s lives, especially what our society considers the “sorry lot” and estranged and ostracized. But not so you and your wife Linda.

Congratulations! I believe your ministry and partners will go a long way and my prayers for you also!

2 Likes

Thank you Jim, I have not heard of Joseph Prince but I’d love to hear him! I can imagine the subject of grace has been very effective in your ministry. God is so worthy to be praised for His rich blessings and it gives me joy to hear of people in prison being set free from their spiritual bondage. :blush:

1 Like

Thank Roderick,
We covet your prayers. May you be richly blessed.

1 Like