Introduction to philosophy

(Kyle Jones) #1

Does anyone know of any good authors or resources that cover the introduction to philosophy?

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #2

Hi @Kyle_Jones.

I believe this is the best one:

Another Christian philosophy book I’ve read:

(Kyle Jones) #3

Thank you, I appreciate it.

(Carson Weitnauer) #4

Hi Kyle,

I’ve been inspired by this little article from Alvin Plantinga:

As he summarizes:

My counsel can be summed up on two connected suggestions, along with a codicil. First, Christian philosophers and Christian intellectuals generally must display more autonomy-more independence of the rest of philosophical world. Second, Christian philosophers must display more integrity-integrity in the sense of integral wholeness, or oneness, or unity, being all of one piece. Perhaps ‘integrality’ would be the better word here. And necessary to these two is a third: Christian courage, or boldness, or strength, or perhaps Christian self-confidence. We Christian philosophers must display more faith, more trust in the Lord; we must put on the whole armor of God.

His point about the need for autonomy is quite compelling:

Christian philosophers, however, are the philosophers of the Christian community; and it is part of their task as Christian philosophers to serve the Christian community. But the Christian community has its own questions, its own concerns, its own topics for investigation, its own agenda and its own research program. Christian philosophers ought not merely take their inspiration from what’s going on at Princeton or Berkeley or Harvard, attractive and scintillating as that may be; for perhaps those questions and topics are not the ones, or not the only ones, they should be thinking about as the philosophers of the Christian community. There are other philosophical topics the Christian community must work at, and other topics the Christian community must work at philosophically. And obviously, Christian philosophers are the ones who must do the philosophical work involved. If they devote their best efforts to the topics fashionable to the non-Christian philosophical world, they will neglect a crucial and central part of their task as Christian philosophers. What is needed here is more independence, more autonomy with respect to the projects and concerns of the non-theistic philosophical world.

There are so many gems in this piece. If you read it, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

(Kyle Jones) #5

Thanks Carson I am gonna take a look at it this evening.

(Kyle Jones) #6

Thanks again, that was a great article. What really stood out to me is how important it is that we use are discipline (philosophy foresure) in a manner that addresses our worldview first and foremost. It is by using our discipline that we expand our “Faith seeking understanding”. As our understanding expands our faith deepens and becomes more fruitful. “It is that; but it is also an arena for the articulation and interplay of commitments and allegiances fundamentally religious in nature; it is an expression of deep and fundamental perspectives, ways of viewing ourselves and the world and God”. This is in contrast to what seems to me to be the natural tendency to want to dive into defending ourselves against the world and/or addressing the world as a primary focus. I like also how he really included the importance of knowing the distinction between unity in conviction and unity and conviction.