Introduction:

(Christopher Browne) #1

Hi everyone, I am Chris, now married and living in South Africa, formerly of Britain. Recently retired, but keen to interact with younger folk from around the globe! I used to lecture in Economics, and wish to use my reason whilst at the same time trust our Lord. Would love to hear from any and all of you. God bless.

(SeanO) #2

@ChrisSA Welcome to Connect! So glad you’ve joined us. Economics - wow - at what university? May the Lord Jesus bless you through your time here.

(Kathleen) #3

Welcome to Connect, @ChrisSA! We’re so glad you have joined all of us young folk here. :grin: How did you find the transition from Britain to SA for you? As someone who lives somewhat cross-culturally (American in Britain), I always love when people choose to venture out.

(Bill Brander) #4

I hope that I’m on topic Kathleen, but as with Chris I emigrated to SA in 1973. I married a girl from Bloemfotein. The early days of our marriage were a bit rough as we were from different cultures. I don’t know how much it helped, but when I started learning how to speak Afrikaans I changed as I learnt more about the Afrikanner culture. I am finding a similar thing happening now as I try to learn isiXhosa. I have more appreciation of the reasons thoughts and actions that seem ‘wrong’ to me.
Bill
PS Learning Afrikaans was easy. But Xhosa… oh boy these ‘clicks’, oh boy.

(Bill Brander) #5

Kathleen, as a ‘boomer’ can you please define “young”? :wink:

(Kathleen) #6

Exactly. I consider young as anything alive. Ha! :grin: