Is 'Arts & Entertainment' a game changer for young adults and millennials in Japan?

(Patrick Prabhakar) #1

Hi @Yutaro, @rizkun327, @kazuma_nakahara, I can never forget my early teen days submerged in two specific video games: Contra and Mario Bros. It was years after that I had discovered that both these games had their roots in Japan. With regards to the Japanese fonts, which are so rich in imagery and to the hoards of cartoon animations emanating from Japan, I am beginning to see that visual imagery plays such a tremendous role in the understanding and communication of the Japanese people (Help me know if I’m seeing it right).

With this in mind, I would like to specifically know as to how has the younger generation in Japan responded to:

1. The movie ‘Silence’, which was adapted from the novel ‘Silence’ written by Shusaku Endo, who had won the prestigious Japanese literary award, the ‘Tanizaki Prize’ for the same in 1966.
  1. The works and testimony of the artist Makoto Fujimura. For all @Interested_in_Arts, below is an enthralling ‘4-minute video clip’ of Makoto Fujimura sharing his encounter with Jesus.
8 Likes
(Yutaro) #2

Hi Patrick, thank you so much for your great questions. It is very intriguing how we can explore the ways of sharing the gospel through arts and entertainment. I have been thinking of how we can understand and analyze Japanese anime or manga to reach out to the younger generation. Many of them seem to portray the ideal world that the Japanese people dream of but it is interesting how that reflects the reality that many of them are having the disappointing relationships with their friends or experiences at school or workplace.

Regarding the movie “Silence,” I had a few conversations with both Christian and non-Christian friends when I was at university. Christians seemed to be challenged by the concept of suffering for Christ and how that would look like in their daily life. Non-Christians were interested in how Christians were adhering to their faith even in the face of extreme challenges. It was definitely a great conversation starter and I do hope we can talk about it more with the Japanese people.

Thank you for introducing Makoto Fujimura. Although it was my first time hearing about him, his testimony sounds very powerful. He seems to be more well-known in western context but I hope we will be able to hear more of his stories in Japanese.

2 Likes