Is baptism a requirement for salvation?

Is Baptism a requirement for Salvation?

Thank you…

2 Likes

Jeffry, scripture teaches the thief on the cross went to paradise. Further more in

Matthew 27:51‭-‬53 NKJV
Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

These captives were freed when Christ descended, and became part of the first fruits, they as well went to paradise.

Further what about a baby who has no option in the womb?
Baptism is an outward expression to the world of an inward experience.
Hope this helps
Mike

1 Like

Good question, @jbrumbach. There are two ways that the word baptism is typically used in the New Testament - being baptized into the body of Christ at the moment of salvation, and being baptized into a local body of believers as a church member.

If you are talking about being baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ through repentance from sin and faith in the gospel, then yes - that baptism is exactly what salvation is. It’s the death of the old person you used to be on the inside, and the simultaneous resurrection (or rebirth - both expressions are biblical) of the Spirit of Christ on the inside.

But only God can see what takes place on the inside of a person. Men can only evaluate what they see on the outside.

And so Jesus instructed His followers to demonstrate this inner baptism at salvation by submitting to the ordinance of baptism before men. So the outward baptism is only a symbol of the true baptism that took place at salvation. As the baptism of the Spirit places one into the body of Christ, the outward baptism in a river or other body of water was accepted in the New Testament as baptizing a person into the local body of believers for church fellowship. Salvation, then baptism, then church membership - Acts 2:41.

To demonstrate that the outward ordinance of baptism was not necessary to salvation, consider the example of Cornelius and his house in Acts 10:44-48. While Peter preached to Cornelius, his family and friends, the Holy Spirit came upon these Gentiles the same way that He had the Jews at Pentecost. Obviously, they were saved at that point. And so Peter asks in verse 47, Can any man forbid water that these should not be baptized which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? So obviously their baptism in the next verse was subsequent to a salvation that had already happened by faith.

I hope these thoughts will help you!

2 Likes

Hello @jbrumbach Acts 10:44-48 shows that you don’t have to be baptized to be saved because these believers in this passage were saved and filled with the Holy Spirit prior to getting baptized. Here is the passage.

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all those who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had accompanied Peter were greatly astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles, 46 for they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Then Peter said, 47 “No one can withhold the water for these people to be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?” 48 So he gave orders to have them baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay for several days.

I hope this helps answer your question and just like the other passages given from others you can see that salvation is a gift we can accept without having to earn it. We can’t do anything to earn salvation in any way thus the reason Jesus died on the cross for our sins. He lived the sinless life we couldn’t and took our punishment and took our place so that we could exchange our sin for his righteousness.

God Bless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Mike… I’ve used that before, however, never involving those in the womb! That is awesome!
I thank God for your focus to research and provide scriptural answers to these questions. I’m not looking for a “Sword”, but a firm biblically response.

God Bless you! Have an awesome day…

Jeffry

2 Likes

Thank you James for the detailed scripture in responding to my inquiry. Your response is loving and accurate as I learn reviewing HIS word…

God Bless your passion for His written word, and desire to share with me.

God Bless your ministry…
Jeffry

1 Like

Thank you Luna:

I am finding sound biblical answers to my inquiry. I am grateful for your time and God given knowledge in answering my question.

I realize that I have got to sharpen my sharing skills by getting deeper into His word. Luna, you have encouraged me along with the other responses.

God Bless you…I know as long as I’m vertical HE is still using me…

Thank you again…
Jeffry

3 Likes

What is an Academy Alum? Thank you.

God Bless.
Jeffry

@jbrumbach I believe they are people who are students or former students of RZIM Academy.

Thank you for giving me the insight. God Bless,

Jeffry

1 Like