Is Bible Men centric

Hi , couple of months ago as I was talking about my christain faith to one of my friends. He asked me this question ’ why are all prophets or majority of them are men and out all biblical characters majority are men. Why is it so?. Why women have been kept aside .Is Bible Men centric ?’
How do I respond to that? Please explain

2 Likes

Hi Jaikar,
I must say that is a valid question from your friend because a cursory understanding would lead us to that conclusion.
For your knowledge I have including a link below to help in answering your friends question.

By our modern standards of society all are supposedly equal.

The Bible is human centric in nature as the term man is considered as all peoples.

But for further insight we must see that “middle east culture” which was the prevalent dominant culture during the times the bible was written was a man centered culture.
There are many prominent women mentioned throughout the bible that God used to bring about His will.
In Gods eyes men and women are ultimately one bringing together both, as Eve was fashioned with a part of Adam not separate from him. Please see link for further info.

[(https://www.pewforum.org/2016/03/22/the-gender-gap-in-religion-around-the-world/)]

Hope my understand helps your friend.
Mike

1 Like

The Bible is Theocentric, not homocentric. It is God’s story, not man’s. He created, and proclaimed “It is good”. We decided it was not good enough, and did it our way. Much of the angst women face is the result of that rebellion, but it was never God’s intent for her. That men have dominated history, not only in the Bible, but throughout the world, is a fact. So of course, the Bible, in that context, would have men as it’s primary players. Again, though, that was not God’s intention. His way is for our identity to be in the Tree of Life, but as the result of the Fall, we are looking to the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I am looking for a quite different world when He comes back.

1 Like

The Bible can come off mostly about men but the truth is it’s showing a culture in a time where men had more dominance over women. But the thing that’s the most amazing about this is how it works in favor of biblical and historical authenticity when it comes to the resurrection. The ones who were to first know that Jesus had risen from the dead were women. He made them the first tellers of the Good News knowing that a woman’s testimony in those days was worth half that of a man. This is called “The Principle Of Embarrassment” because it’s embarrassing that women believed and saw Jesus first and told others before the men did. The disciples didn’t even believe the women when they said it even though they were around Jesus the most and knew of him saying he was going to die and resurrect. This whole situation proves they were telling the truth because liars wouldn’t make themselves look bad. Here is the passage Matthew 28:1-10

The Resurrection

1 Now after the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. 2 Suddenly there was a severe earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descending from heaven came and rolled away the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4 The guards were shaken and became like dead men because they were so afraid of him. 5 But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here, for he has been raised, just as he said. Come and see the place where he was lying. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples, ‘He has been raised from the dead. He is going ahead of you into Galilee. You will see him there.’ Listen, I have told you!” 8 So they left the tomb quickly, with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9 But Jesus met them, saying, “Greetings!” They came to him, held on to his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee. They will see me there.”

Jesus also taught women which is something that wasn’t done in those days. Luke 10:38-52

Jesus and Martha

38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him as a guest. 39 She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted with all the preparations she had to make, so she came up to him and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do all the work alone? Tell her to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is needed. Mary has chosen the best part; it will not be taken away from her.”

You can also lookup women like Debora, Ester, and Ruth. Here are a few videos from Jo Vitale from RZIM who speaks on this subject. I think you might like it. I hope this helps some. :slight_smile:

2 Likes