Is death a problem or a necessary part of the fallen natural order?

trendingquestions

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Continuing the discussion from Should we Fear Artificial Intelligence?: Pre Readings:

1. Is human death a “technical problem” that can be overcome through silicon-based bodies and cloud computing? Or is death a necessary part of the fallen natural order established by God?

(Dennis Gladden) #2

@CarsonWeitnauer, thank you for questions like this that make us think.

My computer annoys me, but it won’t be the death of me. Technology is not what kills, for there was death before there was technology. No laptop, no cell phone, no robot or anything of the kind took down Adam in the garden. Rebellion claimed the life of Adam and Eve. Then, anger took the life of Abel. And so it has been from the beginning. Sin takes life and the wages of sin is death. The law of sin and death is a law of creation that God ordained: “The day you eat (sin) you will die” (Genesis 2:17).

Technology did not take our life, and it cannot save from the death it didn’t cause. Only the one who decreed the consequences of sin can save us from those consequences. Scripture teaches that the devil had the power of death and he used it to enslave us, but Jesus came to destroy both the devil and his works (Hebrews 2:14-15, 1 John 3:8). Moreover, death is not the friend that many in our culture claim, but it is among the enemies that Christ will ultimately subdue.

1 Corinthians 15:25-26
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Back to the question,

Is human death a “technical problem” that can be overcome through silicon-based bodies and cloud computing?

Not at all. If it were, Jesus would not be our Savior.